Purple tang blind and spin behavior

erfan_m_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have a 6 cm purple tang for 8 months. It was very good and eat everything . But suddenly about 10 days ago it start hiding behind of my live rock for 4 or 5 days. When it came out it's look like it was fine and swim slowly. But after a 2 days I noticed it can't find food because can't see the food and also live rocks or glass of aquarium and swim until impact with them. Now after 4 days it start spinning and its eyes moving fast . I put it in my ref for reducing stress .I posted a video to see it's behavior. Can anyone help me please?

Attachments

• ۲۰۲۰۱۰۲۳_۲۰۵۶۰۶.mp4
    50.5 MB

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His actions do look like he may be in the process of losing his sight...swimming in the direction he can see a little. Plus the fast movements of his eyes looks like it is trying to look around. I am not aware of an external disease that causes this behavior, though. It really could be something internal to the fish that is not parasitic but more of a systemic disease possibly. Maybe @Jay Hemdal or others on #reefsquad can jump in to see if he has ever seen a disease cause this type of behavior.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I can't get the video to load....can you post to Youtube then send a link?

Jay

OP
OP
E

erfan_m_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters of the water
Salinity 1.024
Ph 8.4
Nitrate under 10
Phosphate under 0.03
Ca 420
Kh 8.4
Mg 1320
Temp 25.2
Unfortunately I don't have NH3 and No2 test

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again tnx for your help .

It's the link of video.

Thanks, that worked. Yes, the fish is either blind or has neurological damage. Here is one test- does the fish settle down after the lights have been turned completely off for an hour or so? Is so, it can at least see like light from dark.
Are there other fish in the tank? Are they fine?
Just to tell you up front, I don’t have any treatment to offer you for either issue....
Jay

OP
OP
E

erfan_m_h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that worked. Yes, the fish is either blind or has neurological damage. Here is one test- does the fish settle down after the lights have been turned completely off for an hour or so? Is so, it can at least see like light from dark.
Are there other fish in the tank? Are they fine?
Just to tell you up front, I don’t have any treatment to offer you for either issue....
Jay
Hi Jay and tanx. unfortunately my ocellaris clownfish start to stand front of power head and after 3 days it seems blind to. both react to light off and became some nervous . I want to treat them with paraguard seachem to see anything happens.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't offer any help or advice since I have a similar issue with one of my butterflies. Was doing great for 6 months and all of the sudden I noticed it just hovering in a corner top of my display. I scooped him out and placed into a qt. has no reaction to any light and keeps bumping into things in the qt. swims and acts normal but just can't see.
Treated with furan2, metro and kanaplex for 14 days as well as with Erythromycin and kanaplex for another 14 days with no change. The poor thing has not eaten for over 30 days and I just bring myself to euthanize him :(

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back