Purple Tang has velvet.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It already was in the QT it’s probably he and the other fish won’t make it. I don’t have the time to deal with multiple QT tanks. So I took him out and put him back in the display. I dipped him with the fritz copper for two days he didn’t improve. I don’t think the velvet is going to go away without weeks to months of treatment. Maybe it sounds callus but I don’t have the time to sit and babysit a fish and work 60+ hours a week. So at this point I’ll keep feeding him and hope he pulls through. QT of 15g with a tang his size will require daily water changes with copper added and then if the other fish get sick I’ll have to do the same. I don’t have a large containment system for this type of scenario.
Sounds to me the best thing for you and any fish you have is to get out of the hobby.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Ich to me as well. I believe the fallow period for velvet is 6 weeks not 76 days (as for ich) fyi.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to figure it out this weekend. I really don’t have a lot of free time working for a hedge fund is really demanding. I’m going to buy a large 40g breeder for my qt. The 15g isn’t big enough for my tang. I have to find a place in my garage which i do heat and a stand. Honestly it’s a great idea but I was holding off on these upgrade until I got me 180g upgrade. I’m keeping an eye on them

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had velvet when I added a Harlequin tusk and it wiped out 6 years worth of fish in 3 days. I was crushed, I know the pain of trying to to do the best for your pets. IMO, keep feeding your tang Nori w/garlic & selcon and maybe do a light dose of Prazipro. (I'll probably get flamed for that) But in the past when I had fish that were stressed and they were at least eating, I used the garlic, selcon & Prazi and am batting about 95% after that treatment.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had velvet when I added a Harlequin tusk and it wiped out 6 years worth of fish in 3 days. I was crushed, I know the pain of trying to to do the best for your pets. IMO, keep feeding your tang Nori w/garlic & selcon and maybe do a light dose of Prazipro. (I'll probably get flamed for that) But in the past when I had fish that were stressed and they were at least eating, I used the garlic, selcon & Prazi and am batting about 95% after that treatment.

Two camps for Ich...go fallow or live with it. I've always gone the go fallow path. I now only buy QT'ed fish.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two camps for Ich...go fallow or live with it. I've always gone the go fallow path. I now only buy QT'ed fish.
I had ich long time ago on my clowns they survived but it’s years ago. I did the garlic selcon route. This just looks like a more aggressive version, more spots. I’m gonna do what I can until this weekend until I a can setup a larger QT. If I can get a reasonable tank large enough and stand I’d remove all the fish but there’s no way on gods green earth I could catch these two. Fish ninjas!

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had ich long time ago on my clowns they survived but it’s years ago. I did the garlic selcon route. This just looks like a more aggressive version, more spots. I’m gonna do what I can until this weekend until I a can setup a larger QT. If I can get a reasonable tank large enough and stand I’d remove all the fish but there’s no way on gods green earth I could catch these two. Fish ninjas!

Catch fish at night with red light. :)

There are also some good traps...

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well so far flame , and clown gone. Tang still alive wrasse chromis and female clown fine no ich. Bought polyp labs reef medic going to give it a try. Tomorrow going to buy larger QT tank and try to catch fish to transfer

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back