Purple tang ICH QT TANK

fishfriendss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Having an emergency situation, very stressed out and would appreciate any help possible!
My purple tang (which I have had for about 2 months now) is showing signs of ICH or velvet. She is eating and swimming around but does seem to hide a lot in one of the caves. (White strip on her belly and a bit toward the top) My plan is to put her in the QT, but it’s only 30g. I guess my question is do you think she will be okay in there while I treat her for ICH? My other fish aren’t showing any signs of ICH so should I leave them in the DT while I treat her in the QT ? I’m worried the rest will become sick and I won’t have enough room for all of them. ( I also considered a Fresh water dip first, but catching her has been impossible and is causing more stress to her. I am willing to do anything I can for my fish babies, just really need a second opinion to make sure I’m giving all of them the best option)

Fish in DT: 1 purple tang, 1 large lawnmower blenny, 2 clownfish, 1 angel beauty, 1 chromis, 1 damsel, 1 fire fish goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs, 2 feather dusters, Live rock, Caribbean sand bed, no corals.
Tank size: 75g

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! This is a great source of information I think you will find.

Some more information, and some photos under white light will help in diagnosis.

If your purple has crypto/ich, you will need to treat all fish at the same time, but before we go there, let's try to confirm the illness.

OP
OP
F

fishfriendss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, not the greatest photo since she’s hiding under here.
CF5CE159-36E8-47C1-A38C-E695883397A3.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,
Having an emergency situation, very stressed out and would appreciate any help possible!
My purple tang (which I have had for about 2 months now) is showing signs of ICH or velvet. She is eating and swimming around but does seem to hide a lot in one of the caves. (White strip on her belly and a bit toward the top) My plan is to put her in the QT, but it’s only 30g. I guess my question is do you think she will be okay in there while I treat her for ICH? My other fish aren’t showing any signs of ICH so should I leave them in the DT while I treat her in the QT ? I’m worried the rest will become sick and I won’t have enough room for all of them. ( I also considered a Fresh water dip first, but catching her has been impossible and is causing more stress to her. I am willing to do anything I can for my fish babies, just really need a second opinion to make sure I’m giving all of them the best option)

Fish in DT: 1 purple tang, 1 large lawnmower blenny, 2 clownfish, 1 angel beauty, 1 chromis, 1 damsel, 1 fire fish goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, turbo snails, hermit crabs, 2 feather dusters, Live rock, Caribbean sand bed, no corals.
Tank size: 75g
1. Yes the fish will be safe(r) than in the display
2. The other fish (assuming its Ich) - need to be treated - frankly as well as anything else
3. You can use a fish trap - but - that can take days.

Can you answer the rest of the questions in the sticky above - how to ask a question in the disease forum? PS - its the second link in my signature

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the QT tank does not need to be glass. You can use a large rubbermade or such that is more affordable and readily available. The only downside is it is difficult to inspect the fish since you really only get a top down view.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, not the greatest photo since she’s hiding under here.
CF5CE159-36E8-47C1-A38C-E695883397A3.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That yellow circled item is head and lateral line erosion, very common in this species. The fish could also have ich, I can't see spots though.

Here is an article I wrote about that:

Jay

OP
OP
F

fishfriendss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. The other fish (assuming its Ich) - need to be treated - frankly as well as anything else
3. You can use a fish trap - but - that can take days.

Can you answer the rest of the questions in the sticky above - how to ask a question in the disease forum? PS - its the second link in my signature
Welcome to R2R! This is a great source of information I think you will find.

Some more information, and some photos under white light will help in diagnosis.

If your purple has crypto/ich, you will need to treat all fish at the same time, but before we go there, let's try to confirm the illness.
Background info:
Tank was fully cycled over a year ago. I religiously tested my tank for the first months after cycling and all has been normal. I now only occasionally test and current parameters are all normal.
temp: 77° f
Nitrite:0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 1ppm
Phosphate: 0.01
Salinity: 1.024
Ph: around 8.2
Only fish deaths I’ve had have been due to my own poor safety measures in the beginning (one jumped out before I made a net, and then one was taken by my fan)

OP
OP
F

fishfriendss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Background info:
Tank was fully cycled over a year ago. I religiously tested my tank for the first months after cycling and all has been normal. I now only occasionally test and current parameters are all normal.
temp: 77° f
Nitrite:0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 1ppm
Phosphate: 0.01
Salinity: 1.024
Ph: around 8.2
Only fish deaths I’ve had have been due to my own poor safety measures in the beginning (one jumped out before I made a net, and then one was taken by my fan)
Keep in mind the QT tank does not need to be glass. You can use a large rubbermade or such that is more affordable and readily available. The only downside is it is difficult to inspect the fish since you really only get a top down view.
Thank you! With the Rubbermaid, is it easy to have a HOB filter attached to it and then just do frequent water changes?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you add the various fish to the DT? I assume you did not quarantine any of them?

You described white lines on the purple's body but you did not mention white spots or rapid breathing or other typical symptoms . The line is probably HLLE as @Jay Hemdal described. What makes you suspect crypto/ich or velvet?

OP
OP
F

fishfriendss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That yellow circled item is head and lateral line erosion, very common in this species. The fish could also have ich, I can't see spots though.

Here is an article I wrote about that:

Jay
When did you add the various fish to the DT? I assume you did not quarantine any of them?

You described white lines on the purple's body but you did not mention white spots or rapid breathing or other typical symptoms . The line is probably HLLE as @Jay Hemdal described. What makes you suspect crypto/ich or velvet?
I quarantined all my fish prior and the purple tang was in a QT at petco and I had purchased it and brought It home once it was looked at by the staff now i really wish I had quarantined it myself. My fish were all added separately minus the clowns that were added together (one year span for adding all, purple tang added two months ago) purple tang has been eating normal, swimming normal, but she does hide in the cave frequently. She seems to be breathing a bit heavier and there is no white dots (“white patch” the pink circle in pic is what I’m concerned about) for HLLE would you recommend no carbon and larger water changes?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I quarantined all my fish prior and the purple tang was in a QT at petco and I had purchased it and brought It home once it was looked at by the staff now i really wish I had quarantined it myself. My fish were all added separately minus the clowns that were added together (one year span for adding all, purple tang added two months ago) purple tang has been eating normal, swimming normal, but she does hide in the cave frequently. She seems to be breathing a bit heavier and there is no white dots (“white patch” the pink circle in pic is what I’m concerned about) for HLLE would you recommend no carbon and larger water changes?
It sounds like you're trying to do all the right things!!!!!! My question - how did you QT the fish in your tank.

OP
OP
F

fishfriendss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you're trying to do all the right things!!!!!! My question - how did you QT the fish in your tank.
Haha Im trying that’s for sure!! And I put the fish in the QT for around 3 weeks and would do water changes weekly, Feed them, and just see how they behaved. Never dosed them with anything because they never showed signs of illness until now with the tang.
Little update though: I removed the carbon, ordered a fish trap in case, as well as fritz copper (for the ICH if it is that and bought a Rubbermaid as an emergency plan) I’m going to do a larger water change as well to remove the carbon.
Thank you everyone though!! I really appreciate all the thoughtful tips and ideas, was a huge sigh of relief when the comments came in.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back