Purple tang tried to eat my coral!

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20201016_151140.jpg

So my giant trachy hasn't been himself lately... Just couldn't put my finger on it. Tested water, checked temp and flow. All ok. I just haven't been able to figure it out.

But today, I sat back far enough from the tank for the fish to stop begging for food, and then it happened... This purple tang tried taking a bite out of this coral, and not just once!

I immediately ran to the tank, and he stopped bothering the coral long enough to do the "feed me" dance. I went back to the couch for more observation, and he went for my duncan! Even after I fed the tank, he still wanted to nip at the coral!

I feed this tank heavily, and he is super fat, so hunger is not the reason. He just seems to have developed a taste for coral.

This fish has been with me for a long time, but this tank is for the corals first, the fish second. He had to go...

I found him a mature and stable home within 10 minutes, and am happy to repprt that he is in a tank that's for the fish first, corals second.

Still, it was sad to see him go, and my tank looks a little less full today...

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rare but I have heard of tangs eating coral. Beautiful fish, what a shame!

sabor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so rare! Had my purple tang eat my acans. He started chopping off a head every day. At first, I thought it was my flame angel. He almost got framed and caught out but I did more observing and saw the purple was the culprit. I lost like 10 heads before I was able to catch him out. I should’ve known as he was eating my sps when he was younger but I tried my best to ignore that as he stopped. Acans he did not.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back