Purple Tang Twitching. Eating Well. Neurological Damage?

golgobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new purple tang I bought off LA. I QT'ed for two weeks without any treatment before placing in DT. No visible marks on the skin or in or near the gills. However, this fish is super twitchy. It's like it has a tick. He's eating voraciously, but just acting super twitchy. Here's a video. Is this neurological damage? Is this flukes? Or is he just a nervous fish? Will he calm down eventually?

OP
OP
golgobot

golgobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost looks like a sign of aggression toward the clown.

Thanks for the reply. He definitely leaves the clowns alone. All he cares about is his seaweed clip and morning and evening feeding time. I work right next to the tank and observe the tangs behavior all day and I don't see any aggression towards the other fish.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the reply. He definitely leaves the clowns alone. All he cares about is his seaweed clip and morning and evening feeding time. I work right next to the tank and observe the tangs behavior all day and I don't see any aggression towards the other fish.

He does not necessarily have to attack to be aggression it could be a warning.
Lots of fish turn side ways and shake to warn other fish. Tangs will sometime stake out a section of a tank and warn other fish to stay out. Sometimes latter on as the fish gets more established too it can get worse especially to new fish.
Fish sometimes have to work out a hierarchy to.
Purple tanks are a pretty aggressive fish.

If he is doing it is all over the tank it is possible stray voltage might be something to look for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
golgobot

golgobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does not necessarily have to attack to be aggression it could be a warning.
Lots of fish turn side ways and shake to warn other fish. Tangs will sometime stake out a section if a tank and warn other fish to stay out. Sometimes latter on as the fish gets more established too it can get worse especially to new fish.
Fish sometimes have to work out a hierarchy to.
Purple tanks are a pretty aggressive fish.

If he is doing it is all over the tank it is possible stray voltage might be something to look for.

He definitely does this all over the tank. He doesn't do it in his sleep though. Also, wouldn't the other fish be twitching as well?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He definitely does this all over the tank. He doesn't do it in his sleep though. Also, wouldn't the other fish be twitching as well?

For stray voltage I feel tangs are more agitated by it and one of the reasons they suffer from lateral line disease more than other fish.
It is just something to look at.
It might just be a nervous thing. Tangs are aggressive fish but also can be one of the first fish to run and hide sometimes. They also can stress easily especially in smaller tanks.. Your tank looks young so I am assuming this tang is relatively new?

I am just throwing things out there. I only got a video to go by.

He looks pretty healthy and good color.

OP
OP
golgobot

golgobot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I added a blue hippo tang to the aquarium. The purple tang now has a fish to bully and the twitching went away. Luckily the aggression is just establishing a pecking order so I think all is fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back