Purple Tang, ways to entice to eat nori?

Abyssions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble getting my purple to eat some nori. I tried putting it on some rocks, veggie clip, and floating around the tank which he does peck at it sometimes and lets the rest flow in to my sump :cry:. He eating other stuff like a pig but not so much nori.

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I mean as long as he is eating like a pig I would be happy. Some fish like some stuff and other fish do not like it .. differs from fish to fish in my experience

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having trouble getting my purple to eat some nori. I tried putting it on some rocks, veggie clip, and floating around the tank which he does peck at it sometimes and lets the rest flow in to my sump :cry:. He eating other stuff like a pig but not so much nori.

Maybe try soaking in Selcon or Garlic?

Put the Veggie clip in a more open swimming area where the tang may frequently swim?

Try different types or Nori?

When I had a yellow and bristletooth tang they wouldn't really touch the red or green algae sheets, but they would demolish the purple algae sheets.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was picky at first too. Then I moved him into QT (for treatment) and left the veggie clip with pieces of seaweed sheet. Since the tank was bare and the clip was interesting, I guess it enticed him to pick at it out of curiosity. Have you tried live macro? Mine loves gracilera. Soaking in garlic may also help. I use Garlic-Guard by seachem

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while for any Tang to get the hang of nori, especially if there are no resident fish to show it the way. You just have to keep trying.

acidtablockshifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may sound crazy but if you up the temp of the tank it will increase fish metabolism it will be so hungry all the time it will eat the nori, once it takes to it your golden, just my experience, from upping the tank temp for an ich outbreak to speed the life cycle, kind of a loosely observed side affect.

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree find the type he likes.
My purple tang only liked red nori. My yellow tang liked green. The green was a lot cheaper I could get it by the pound at local oriental store. so I wraped my red on the outside of my green. Eventually they were both eating green like crazy.

wrestle1952

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed all of my tangs Spectrum pellets. I had several tangs that had hole in the head disease and lateral line. The spectrum pellets really work as they claim. I allow them to graze algae on the rocks like they do in nature. I tried Nori a number of times and could only get my tangs to pick at it but not truly send them into a feeding frenzy like spectrum. I never could stand the look of veggie clips with nori or lettuce clipped to it.

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a change in food would help? Try new era marine grazers. They are a little ring of food you can put on a suction cup or let sink to the bottom. I believe they can almost replace seaweed as they are made of it and algae. My purple adores them. If you throw one or a piece of one in and let it sink, see if your guy will nip at it. Once/If he gets hooked on it try putting one in on the suction cup on the glass. Maybe that will warm him up to the clip and you can somehow attach seaweed to it, or right next to the grazer.

vladandlilith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy mine from Asian stores,too. It is much, much cheaper. My Blue Hippo doesn't touch the stuff. He does graze off of the rocks. My purple tang goes through a third of a sheet per day plus LRS, New Life Spectrum Pellets , and PE Mysis. As long as it is eating other stuff well, I wouldn't sweat it.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish my purple tangs would eat LRS. They only eat nori and are skinny. My yellows, blues, powder blue and sailfin tangs eat LRS and are fat and healthy.

I am lucky. None of my tangs have ever had hlle disease.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple is a pig eats everything and kills nori.

Have you tried the red one ? I’ve seen reefers say they had better luck with it than the regular one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back