Purple tang with Ich?

Dannyflips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone i am new here. My Dt tank has developed Ich while my purple tang was being shipped. I had a qt already set up it is only a 10g. Tang came i bigger then i expected but was doing fine for the first few days. I did use the water from my DT to start my QT. Now my purple thing has a few white spots that I believe is ich. I have already set up a 30 gallon QT with brand new RODI water. What should i do. I went from never having Ich to now having it in two tanks. Hopefully somebody can give me some good advice.

354196FE-1024-4A2C-B4E9-FDCEB645B371.jpeg 3EA53506-D4AF-4CF1-8D95-33ED5FFEA2FF.jpeg A78A0270-1074-4E0B-A20F-8712D893D194.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest method to treat ich is to treat with copper for 30 days in qt. Take the rock out as it absorbs copper (pvc is best for hiding spots in qt).
All fish in the dt (if ich has entered the display) should be pulled and treated as well, with the tank sitting fishless for 45+ days (76 being better).

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and sorry for the stress early on in your career

Hard to tell from these pictures - plenty of light, but no sharp close ups.

What has not come out in your description is if you are treating with and ich treatments! Are you using copper and do you have a hanna checker for copper levels?

If you use copper need to take the rocks out

OP
OP
D

Dannyflips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easiest method to treat ich is to treat with copper for 30 days in qt. Take the rock out as it absorbs copper (pvc is best for hiding spots in qt).
All fish in the dt (if ich has entered the display) should be pulled and treated as well, with the tank sitting fishless for 45+ days (76 being better).
Thanks but my DT is 180g with about 150 or so pounds of live rock so it is very hard to get them out i have tried everything including traps. I also have some LPS and a bubble tip. I am using Herbtana in the DT and all fish seam to be happy and they are still all eating great.

OP
OP
D

Dannyflips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and sorry for the stress early on in your career

Hard to tell from these pictures - plenty of light, but no sharp close ups.

What has not come out in your description is if you are treating with and ich treatments! Are you using copper and do you have a hanna checker for copper levels?

If you use copper need to take the rocks out
Sorry he did not want to come out for is close up lol. In my QT i am not currently treating it with anything. Also no i do not have a Hanna checker. I felt as if the 10g was to small so i have a 30g with new rodi water mixed to 1.025. The live rock was just in a 10 gallon QT for its bacteria

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry he did not want to come out for is close up lol. In my QT i am not currently treating it with anything. Also no i do not have a Hanna checker. I felt as if the 10g was to small so i have a 30g with new rodi water mixed to 1.025. The live rock was just in a 10 gallon QT for its bacteria
Do not QT with rock, it absorbs copper and meds and will mess with the dose and then slowly release it if moved into a DT.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have coral a hyposalinity treatment will work for ich.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich can be successfully controlled, but need to get all your guys in Cu at the prescribed level, hence the need for an accurate testing kit

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best any of the herbal treatments do is help to suppress ich, but won’t do anything to actually get rid of it.
If ich has not reached outbreak levels yet in the dt, management is an option. Plenty of threads with good info on that route. The ideal really is to get all fish treated though.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I have overlooked something in this thread.

Sounds like you have two QT, one a 10 gallon and 1 a 30 gallon, that you fear have ich present.

The photos are not clear enough for me to confirm your diagnosis of ich in the DT. Can you get some better pics?

Even if ich is not present, our standard QT protocol is to treat with copper for 30 days, then apply at least 2 prazi treatments separated by 7-8 days. Full protocol guidelines are in the link below.

The quality of the testing equipment is critical because the copper must be maintained at thew proper level for the entire 30 days to be successful.

If ich is confirmed in the DT, you will need to move all fish to QT and allow the tank to remain fallow for 7 - 8 weeks. If none of the fish have ever gone thru QT protocol, this would be a good idea anyway before adding more expensive fish to the at risk DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but my DT is 180g with about 150 or so pounds of live rock so it is very hard to get them out i have tried everything including traps. I also have some LPS and a bubble tip. I am using Herbtana in the DT and all fish seam to be happy and they are still all eating great.
Please just be aware that ich often subsides and then flares back up later on.
Herbal tonics do not have a good track record for controlling active ich outbreaks.
Jay

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have coral. But thanks for the recommendation.
Is it possible to move the coral over to what you were going to use as a qt and then take the display to hypo? If not loaded with coral, this may be a good option.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back