Purple tang with large white spot on eye

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says, my purple tang has a large white spot on the right eye for two weeks. Nothing new added to the tank in 9 to 12 months. All other fish are healthy. Purple tang is not eating like normal, but still eating a little. Please see attached video. Thanks on advance!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is on the back portion of the eye, truly on the eyeball itself.
Sorry - the video was too short and too far away for me to see any details.
Eye injuries are pretty common and often resolve with minimal or no treatment. However, the fish not eating well implies something more serious is going on - a systemic infection of some sort. Neobenedenia flukes can live on a fish’s eye, but usually both eyes, and those are more milky gray, not white, plus other symptoms would be seen, tattered fins for example.
In any event, the best treatment would be antibiotics (erythromycin) but you’d need a treatment tank for that, is that an option?
Jay

OP
OP
B

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - the video was too short and too far away for me to see any details.
Eye injuries are pretty common and often resolve with minimal or no treatment. However, the fish not eating well implies something more serious is going on - a systemic infection of some sort. Neobenedenia flukes can live on a fish’s eye, but usually both eyes, and those are more milky gray, not white, plus other symptoms would be seen, tattered fins for example.
In any event, the best treatment would be antibiotics (erythromycin) but you’d need a treatment tank for that, is that an option?
Jay
I don't have a hospital tank, but can borrow one.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a hospital tank, but can borrow one.
It is tough to set up a stable hospital tank on the fly - but that or watch the fish for other symptoms would be the two courses of action. If the fish is still eating enough to get by, you might want to just wait.
Jay

Back