Purple Tang wounds or ich or what

dstienmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home last week to find my purple tang "Prince" stuck to the gyre. He was a little tore up from that but i think he was getting beat up pretty bad by another fish previously. The tanks been in hypo salinity for months but not sure its working been at about .008 for about a month and previously about .010 for around 6+ months. my Alk had dropped a few days before pretty low 5.7dhk . SO hes in the sump now for about a week looking a little better, but is that ich or something else no other fish in the tank have any signs including a porupine puffer and hippo and a few other ich magnets. They kind of look like worms or like a oozing pimple lol not all flat dots

20171014_134612.jpg

20171014_134607.jpg

20171014_134506.jpg

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that guy looks pretty bad. I would treat him for everything right now. I would set up a med tank. I would does cuprime just to be safe. But your other live stock might be carrying anything your tang has right now.

How many fish do you have in your DT.
You can dose baked baking soda to raise your on when in hypo.

Malefix I hear is good for fin recovery. A healthy diet is to.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was he being picked on by any other fish? His fins look pretty bad. Could be if he was being picked on his stress level would increase which would lower his immunity and make him susceptible to ich.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe so. It doesn't look like wounds.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like very bad flukes to me. Try a freshwater dip in a dark bucket. See if anything dislodges during said dip.

You’ll need to act quickly to save this fish.

Then if there are flukes, i would treat with prazi pro.

It’s also possible that the fish has a bad infection eating at the fins — you’ll want kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 ready to go anyway because of those are flukes or ich those holes may well become infected as bad as that fish is.

I’d also source coppersafe. I want to hear what others think but I’d definitely do a freshwater dip. Match the temperature exactly.

Here’s a how to thread on freshwater dip: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.214/

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like very bad flukes to me. Try a freshwater dip in a dark bucket. See if anything dislodges during said dip.

+1 First step is to perform a 5 min FW dip to see if it forces any of those things to drop off: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

If so, Prazipro treatment would be next: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/prazipro.247598/

If the white spots remain following the FW dip, take more pics so we can reevaluate his condition.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back