Purple Tang

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I need y’all help. I bought a purple tang, kole tang, and a tomini tang 2 weeks ago. Foxface from a different supplier. The tomini tang died 2 days after I bought it. I have everyone in a 29 gallon QT right now. They’re in copper power at 2.54ppm. Tested with Hanna checker. I believe they have velvet because before I put them into my tank I did a fw dip. A lot dirt/flakes came off the purple tang. The kole tang had bruises on her side a day after I bought her. I believe a secondary bacterial infection due to velvet. Kole tang has already healed. Im treating with metroplex and kanaplex. Everyone else is good, swimming, and eating normally.

My purple tang has white patches and it’s getting worse. He’s acting lethargic. Still eating but moving slowly. They don’t look like lumps, they’re flat. Does anyone know what it is? Pictures below.

This QT is an established tank. With 2 HOB aquaclear 70s and 2 air stone sponges. I’ve QT a blue hippo tang and 2 clowns successfully. They’re in the DT now.

E38779EF-6C66-44A9-AD62-59CBC404A992.jpeg 83EFC56F-51CC-453F-BD42-5EF489C3C427.jpeg 22255D8B-8A1D-4B65-AB6A-5E75EF583A72.jpeg 3AD36AB0-99E0-4EE8-A5BA-F6AB64C870A0.jpeg 020F09BD-B3A5-4758-881E-D9E3B072149B.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see that now. Like white 'blotches.' Someone here will know the answer. But it sure does seem as if you bought a rough-batch of fish. :(

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I really have no idea- but my closest guess would be maybe flukes with a bacterial infection at the location of each fluke?

maybe try prazipro or general cure- but be careful with copper as the mixture could cause a bacterial bloom and deplete oxygen. I think genera cure has a broader spectrum of things it treats.

im no expert but I see you don’t have any possible explanations yet, so maybe this may point you in the right direction.

Good luck my friend

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as my local lfs got purple tang like this in one their tanks,i initially thought must be diesesed and all fins was not erect also then thought surely a lfs wouldn't have this fish in holding tanks like this if diesesed seen it there again 2 weeks later the same.
Then thought must just be colour loss from stress related something or other but idk

Edit: purple i seen had slightly bigger white splotches,just seen size fish compared to size of fitting but still following

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the marks are from the i prezume you mean flukes dropping off from the freshwater dip,ive seen @Jay Hemdal say something like this but maybe was about some medication being to effective and all parasites dropped off at once.ive tagged jay so hopefully he comes in and gives you an expert opinion as im not lol

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I need y’all help. I bought a purple tang, kole tang, and a tomini tang 2 weeks ago. Foxface from a different supplier. The tomini tang died 2 days after I bought it. I have everyone in a 29 gallon QT right now. They’re in copper power at 2.54ppm. Tested with Hanna checker. I believe they have velvet because before I put them into my tank I did a fw dip. A lot dirt/flakes came off the purple tang. The kole tang had bruises on her side a day after I bought her. I believe a secondary bacterial infection due to velvet. Kole tang has already healed. Im treating with metroplex and kanaplex. Everyone else is good, swimming, and eating normally.

My purple tang has white patches and it’s getting worse. He’s acting lethargic. Still eating but moving slowly. They don’t look like lumps, they’re flat. Does anyone know what it is? Pictures below.

This QT is an established tank. With 2 HOB aquaclear 70s and 2 air stone sponges. I’ve QT a blue hippo tang and 2 clowns successfully. They’re in the DT now.

E38779EF-6C66-44A9-AD62-59CBC404A992.jpeg 83EFC56F-51CC-453F-BD42-5EF489C3C427.jpeg 22255D8B-8A1D-4B65-AB6A-5E75EF583A72.jpeg 3AD36AB0-99E0-4EE8-A5BA-F6AB64C870A0.jpeg 020F09BD-B3A5-4758-881E-D9E3B072149B.jpeg
Purchased from LFS or national supplier?

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I really have no idea- but my closest guess would be maybe flukes with a bacterial infection at the location of each fluke?

maybe try prazipro or general cure- but be careful with copper as the mixture could cause a bacterial bloom and deplete oxygen. I think genera cure has a broader spectrum of things it treats.

im no expert but I see you don’t have any possible explanations yet, so maybe this may point you in the right direction.

Good luck my friend
PraxiPro will as well. Aerate very well.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because people buy them: out of ignorance, they’re lied to, or they think they can save them.

The store doesn’t really care which of 3 it is.

(of course not every store)
in the UK if a fish came looking like that you would get a refund

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the UK if a fish came looking like that you would get a

If you bought it from a a store here in the US, they would probably refund your money too. The problem is that they sell it without quarantining it and/or probably nursing it to health first. They are more than willing to sell the fish like this. Maybe 10-20% come back for a refund but someone did the math and decided 20% returns on dead fish was a better business model then treating and acclimating new arrivals for a week or two.

it bums me out.

OP
OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck my friend
Yeah I’ve been looking for general cure but cannot find it online. I’ve started treating with metro,kana, and furan2

OP
OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as my local lfs got purple tang like this in one their tanks,i initially thought must be diesesed and all fins was not erect also then thought surely a lfs wouldn't have this fish in holding tanks like this if diesesed seen it there again 2 weeks later the same.
Then thought must just be colour loss from stress related something or other but idk

Edit: purple i seen had slightly bigger white splotches,just seen size fish compared to size of fitting but still following
I don’t think it’s stress related, because now my kole tang is getting it too.

OP
OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because people buy them: out of ignorance, they’re lied to, or they think they can save them.

The store doesn’t really care which of 3 it is.

(of course not every store)
They didn’t start showing signs till 2 days after I bought them.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back