Purple Tangs at PetCo!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I’m not in the market for a Purple Tang, with a Yellow Tang in my 120 Gallon, it’s a no go. On several occasions I’ve seen Purple Tangs so sick at various Petco’s. They were so sick with Ich and probably other diseases, that I was surprised they were still alive. Has anyone else noticed this? Don’t know why their supplier would ship them out like that, or they would repeatedly except this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First thing I’m not in the market for a Purple Tang, with a Yellow Tang in my 120 Gallon, it’s a no go. On several occasions I’ve seen Purple Tangs so sick at various Petco’s. They were so sick with Ich and probably other diseases, that I was surprised they were still alive. Has anyone else noticed this? Don’t know why their supplier would ship them out like that, or they would repeatedly except this.
Unfortunately and not to bash Petco, But Ive seen many purple tangs on the market and even NY Aquatic that have gotten batches of very healthy stock and its seems Petco.
We often blame Petco but its actually their supplier as Petco orders livestock as we do.
Their Problem however is choosing to stay with same supplier rather than seek improvement with healthier specimens

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The holding tanks for fish before shipping out, is sad news.

Predator fish are fed the fish that die. They all share the same water. Disease spreads to all holding tanks. Fish are starved for transporting reasons. Most vendors leave it to us to get them back into health if possible. This is everywhere except places that quarantine for you. Very few do.

On a bad note, the petcos I have seen fish in are no different than other pet stores. Fish comes in okay, starts to degrade over time, dies. Not just petco. Even petsmart with their freshwater fish is no different. They just watch em die.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back