Purple up

MidWestMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new in the hobby and have just recently started adding corals to my tank. One that I bought came attached to a 4lb rock that was covered in coraline algae. I was talked into purchasing a bottle of "purple up" along with the rock, but after reading the instructions I've been iffy about using it, my tank is still young and I'd hate to get off to a bad start by throwing off my water chemistry. Anyone have experience with this product? Good/bad

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

grumpy-crab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always used it but i have only had FOWLR but i know it does help coralline grow alot. Maybe another reefer can weigh in on the coral side.

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're wasting your money. Get some kalk (Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime) and start using it in your top off water, up to 2 tsp. per gallon. You also want to make sure your N's and P's are low, high levels of PO4 will inhibit coral growth.

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're wasting your money. Get some kalk (Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime) and start using it in your top off water, up to 2 tsp. per gallon. You also want to make sure your N's and P's are low, high levels of PO4 will inhibit coral growth.

Guessing this pickling lime is the same thing as the purple up? Ive used purple up before. It does work.

tbone74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pickling Lime is Calcium Hydroxide. It is also known as kalk. It dissolves in the water and is used to stabilize pH, raise calcium and alkalinity.

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pickling Lime is Calcium Hydroxide. It is also known as kalk. It dissolves in the water and is used to stabilize pH, raise calcium and alkalinity.

Learned something new. I never have a problem with calcium or alk. Ive been told if you do your water changes bioweekly you will never have a problem with calcium or alk. Havent added anything since i was told this. Sorry for being off subject.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to not, I used purple up and thought I was having results from it. I realized after not having it, that it really didnt do too much, not that its a placebo totally but you can do better for your money. Some reefers will use a hard metal brush to scrape coralline off rocks to "seed" the tank. I have not tried this yet myself as I'm happy with the current coralline growth, but it seems legit. You're better off buying something that contains what purple up has plus other essential elements. I personally started using brightwell aquatics reef essentials for trace between water changes, and the only other thing I add to tank is brightwell aquatics microvore for my filter feeders and pipefish. In a reef tank less chem is more sucess IME and easier to figure out what is throwing any test results out of whack.

shovelrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple up works but its costly and less effective. I have used it with good results but have moved on to calcium, alkalinity, and Magnesium additives seperately.
Do you have the test kits for calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and PH? If these are right, coralline will grow everywhere.
Word of advice...
- Don't add anything to the tank you cant test for, it will most likely cause problems down the road.
- Beware of fish store advice. Do your research before purchasing anything. These forums are full of excellent information and experienced reefers that are willing to help.

Good luck and welcome to reef keeping!

TautogCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple up is a waste of money. The scraping of coraline does work IMO, I've done this in mult tanks. The best way to get coraline is patience, nothing happens overnight.

Swordfish215

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remeber most of these products are Calcium Chloride which will increase the chlorinity of the water and if done to fast will decrease alk......Try using a 2 part and make things easy on yourself...Also Kalkwasser is a must in my opinion, its ability to precipitate PO4 Phosphate is invaluable....

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS talked me into that stuff too, even after I told them that I had zero coralline algae in the tank. I never trusted that LFS after that. Purple up contains calcium amoung other ingredients so your calc may go up , mine is over 500 now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back