Put a live camera here on your tank and here and here and here! What about you?

How many LIVE cameras do you have on your reef system?

• None

Votes: 453 67.6%

Votes: 134 20.0%

Votes: 45 6.7%

Votes: 19 2.8%

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • 5+

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cdare99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None right now, I know it seems paranoid but I don’t like cameras like that in the house. But when I’m on vacation I’ll set one up. I would love to have one in the tank but they don’t really make those yet. I know there was a kickstart(or one of the other start ups) for a automatic window cleaner that had a camera on it,but it kind of died of last I checked.

Last edited:

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We want cameras to not only watch for issues but also want cameras to observe the tank at night to see if fish are nipping on corals, etc. We haven't had a chance to research cameras that work for both night and day observation. Life threw us a curve ball.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased these cameras over 3 years ago and while they have been good they are also a pain to connect to your network the first time. They make even better cameras now. Here are what I use.

My Cameras

I have purchased two sets and I have 2 now that won't connect for anything!

I set my cameras up on strategic places that I want to see if I am out of town. My list is as follows.
  • Full front shot of the reef
  • Right side of the reef
  • Left side of the reef
  • Full Tank Room
  • Sump View
  • Frag Tank View
  • Auto Top Off View
great concept... i just ordered two, but got the pan and zoom version instead!

mdromaine55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two WYZE CAMS, one in sump and one facing the tank. One cam is Wireless, great picture quality, and one wired.
Works through WI-FI, higher the speed the better it works from anywhere. Inexpensive way to go.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one cam on the tank and one on the sump. I bought a yellow gel filter to go over the tank cam, and it helps see better through the blue lights.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one in display of the 180G, one in its sump, one in sump of the 42G, and one in quarantine system. The quarantine one gets viewed the most often, because it's farther away. The displays are right behind my desk.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have enough money for cameras, and honestly I don't feel the need for them. Might as well save the money I would spend on them for buying fish food and corals.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where exactly are you putting your camera for a front view? My closest wall is 12 ft away so unless the camera zooms good, it won't work

Creeklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Amcrest HD and they are available on Amazon from about $59-89. I have them mostly focus on equipment and one I front. I travel a lot and can check everything remotely. Helps with occasional Apex alarms too and my spouse and kids can then correct any issues.

LOWRY_PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone care to be specific on the cam and location mounted and how they use them? Ie. App or web or apex. I would love to consider this

Last edited:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone care to be specific not eh cam and location mounted and how they use them? Ie. App or web or apex. I would love to consider this

Wyze has its own app and works pretty well. I've checked on the tank a couple of hours away from home many times. Tried an Apex configuration, but could not get anything to work. I think you have to host the URL somewhere. However, not a big deal because Apex would limit you to just the one view anyway.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... everyone wants INTERNET CONNECTED CAMERAS in their living room?

Me? I might occasionally be doing something near my tank that I wouldn't want some stranger watching, thanks. Even if I'm not, pushing live images from inside my home to the cloud, which, by definition, puts it under someone else's control? Ehh... No thanks.

I suppose yall have them Alexa things sitting around the house with an open mic, too, right?

Call me paranoid, call me old fashioned... I grew up with computers, I'm a software engineer, fully aware of their capabilities, and their faults. No way I'm putting such a device in my home. And yes... my laptop camera lens is covered in duct tape, and the mic is disabled in BIOS.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 2 Wyze cameras (they are $25 each including shipping). I have one pointed at display tank and the other one is to watch the sump. They are really amazing for the price.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point! I've read alot of articles online about Alexa etc. devices and def. shady
So... everyone wants INTERNET CONNECTED CAMERAS in their living room?

Me? I might occasionally be doing something near my tank that I wouldn't want some stranger watching, thanks. Even if I'm not, pushing live images from inside my home to the cloud, which, by definition, puts it under someone else's control? Ehh... No thanks.

I suppose yall have them Alexa things sitting around the house with an open mic, too, right?

Call me paranoid, call me old fashioned... I grew up with computers, I'm a software engineer, fully aware of their capabilities, and their faults. No way I'm putting such a device in my home. And yes... my laptop camera lens is covered in duct tape, and the mic is disabled in BIOS.
I don't think your paranoid at all I'm alot like you in that way! First thing I do when I get a new phone (or tablet) is turn off all "microphone" access.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Wyze cam as well $25 you can’t go wrong.
I have a fish room so the camera records the whole
Room.

C35A370F-B008-4B82-9222-ADE7292034D0.png

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a DLink camera. Comes with a nice iPhone app. I have it pointing to the side of the tank near the auto-feeder so I can see them eat while I'm away. It's a pan and tilt, so I can also use it to check on the living room if my Alarm goes off. Not the best picture quality, but it works great.

Chris Shelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 1 on the entire set up. Tank front and we run open display sump so I can see skimmer cup level (float switch shutoff through apex) fuge along with fuge light. I can even watch the chemo spin. Both return pumps along with carbon reactor and GHL doses. I can see the control lights flashing on top of the doser. It has been super awesome! Girlfriend is a techno geek so our whole house is done up in wyze! She is home waiting but I can watch the front door for FedEx to deliver my corals here any minute. Wyze! Well worth the money!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back