Put a live camera here on your tank and here and here and here! What about you?

How many LIVE cameras do you have on your reef system?

• None

Votes: 453 67.6%

Votes: 134 20.0%

Votes: 45 6.7%

Votes: 19 2.8%

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • 5+

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

v3v3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 camera, IMOU by Dahua. I plug it in in the morning when i go to work and i plug it out when i return home or stay plugged when i go in vacation until i return. Is Wifi connected on a guest network, separated from my home network.

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... everyone wants INTERNET CONNECTED CAMERAS in their living room?

Me? I might occasionally be doing something near my tank that I wouldn't want some stranger watching, thanks. Even if I'm not, pushing live images from inside my home to the cloud, which, by definition, puts it under someone else's control? Ehh... No thanks.

I suppose yall have them Alexa things sitting around the house with an open mic, too, right?

Call me paranoid, call me old fashioned... I grew up with computers, I'm a software engineer, fully aware of their capabilities, and their faults. No way I'm putting such a device in my home. And yes... my laptop camera lens is covered in duct tape, and the mic is disabled in BIOS.
Umm... no, I call that paranoid and by definition “old fashioned” I guess. We are talking about pointing a camera at your DT and or equipment to monitor any potential issues or just to show your hobby to friends and family. I think your just afraid someone may notice you haven’t been diligent in cleaning your gravel/rocks and glass =p
All kidding aside, you do have a point regardless of my views of how unlikely anyone would ever go through the trouble of gaining control or what to do with that information. My cameras only show my equipment and live stock and if your lucky my hands and arms when doing maintenance. My point is, if your going to possibly involve the internet, be smart about it and make sure it’s not something you care if the whole world sees it.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm... no, I call that paranoid and by definition “old fashioned” I guess. We are talking about pointing a camera at your DT and or equipment to monitor any potential issues or just to show your hobby to friends and family. I think your just afraid someone may notice you haven’t been diligent in cleaning your gravel/rocks and glass =p
All kidding aside, you do have a point regardless of my views of how unlikely anyone would ever go through the trouble of gaining control or what to do with that information. My cameras only show my equipment and live stock and if your lucky my hands and arms when doing maintenance. My point is, if your going to possibly involve the internet, be smart about it and make sure it’s not something you care if the whole world sees it.
IF you look at the photos in this thread, several are ROOM SHOTS.

Nope. You disagree? Fine, your choice. If you can limit the photo frame to just the tank, great... even then, I don't want it, but it's far better than some of what I'm seeing here.

In my case, I work from home. Live way out in the woods, and rarely travel. In fact, I rarely leave my own property. If I wanna see my tank, I can get up and walk around the corner... and there it is. I do have email alarms on key parameters, via my Apex, IHMO, that's 'good enough'. There isn't any reason to have a camera.

I suppose, if I did feel the need to remotely view my aquarium, I'd plug the camera into an Apex outlet, normally powered OFF, unless I logged into Fusion and turned it on for a specific viewing session. Probably do something like this...
When On > 005 Then OFF

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you travel a lot and have a tank that you care about it would be a great idea to some cameras you would be able to catch so much I believe in is an amazing investment in your tank.
When we traveled alot, the only camera shot I had was the whole room shot from in-house security system and really couldn’t see the tank very well. I was able to detect movement in the tank which made me secure all was well. Since the pandemic and hubby going thru health issues, travel isn’t a concern now so I‘ve deleted tank camera from my wish list. I would like to know some dependable ones/brands for future consideration though.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have like, and underwater reef cam? That you can leave in there and view with your phone ur fishies swimming around? I’d love to do this, but it looks like icecap tried to make something and it was a fail?

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 360 degree pan and tilt cameras. Both with two way audio and one click close-up. #1 is on the porch and #2 is watching the tank, dogs and inside front door. I also have a full weather readout including in-house temperature with alert set to over 80 and under 70. This way I can adjust my HVAC through the thermostat app. Kinda like a poor mans Neptune.
I can run the whole house with my Android phone.

shih87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update
7 camera show here, but actually two more not included
B95B5931-CC28-41D8-B8C1-4FCC09EB1891.jpeg

Last edited:

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the blink camera. The picture is sooo blue because of my lights its pretty hard to tell whats going on. Do any of the cameras have a blue filter?

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have cameras for the front, back, one side where the ATO sits and the sump. I have more cameras on my tank then I do on my house lol.
giphy.gif

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Wyze cameras watching my 60 Gallon (One watching through the front of the glass and one through the side) tank and four Wyze cameras watching my 240 (Sump, Equipment Room, Basement, and Tank).

Sometimes I'll display the camera on my TV in my office and just let it be in the background while I work. Very relaxing.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use many especially that I'm mostly on travel,
-Tank front just for watching the tank and checking on fish and corals
-Tank electrical to check no circuit breakers tripped
-Overall basement camera to check the fishroom and record everything happening when I have people in or when watchman is placing stuff in or cleaning the fish room.
-3 cameras to check the frag, fish qt, coral qt and display tanks in fishroom.
- one above top off container
I switched to wyse cameras which have nicer image quality, look neat, allow you to set rules like if one camera senses motion decide which cameras will record or for how long, have door sensors to trigger recording, track motion and pan and swivel and of course send u alarms.
Still using couple fiscal, cool cam, Motorola as well

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... everyone wants INTERNET CONNECTED CAMERAS in their living room?

Sure. Why not.

I suppose yall have them Alexa things sitting around the house with an open mic, too, right?

Again, sure.

Call me paranoid, call me old fashioned... I grew up with computers, I'm a software engineer, fully aware of their capabilities, and their faults. No way I'm putting such a device in my home. And yes... my laptop camera lens is covered in duct tape, and the mic is disabled in BIOS.

I grew up with computers, and have worked as a developer or tester for 25+ years. And yes, I think you're paranoid.

No hacker gives a crap about you walking around in your undies near the tank. No one is gonna hack your aquarium cam. Why would they? Do tape your credit cards on the glass, with their pin? Bank login info?

I don't have any, but will eventually get some, with no worries.

--Gray

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back