Putting a tank in storage

Dalton81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Marineland 180G tank that I have been setting up. Due in a change in my living situation it looks like I will be forced to place the tank in a storage unit. Can the heat and cold (I live in Oklahoma) in the storage unit affect the seals in my tank in anyway? Is this a safe thing to do? It will probably be in storage from August to January. Thanks

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new Marineland 180G tank that I have been setting up. Due in a change in my living situation it looks like I will be forced to place the tank in a storage unit. Can the heat and cold (I live in Oklahoma) in the storage unit affect the seals in my tank in anyway? Is this a safe thing to do? It will probably be in storage from August to January. Thanks

I would call the manufacture.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank would do fine in storage if there are no manufacturing flaws. The silicone is cured and it would take a lot longer than 6 months to have any impact if ever. I stored a tank in a storage unit for about 5 years. When I took it out, I examined the silicone and it was fine. Took the extra measure of a water test for a couple of weeks and it was fine.

I sold the tank and the owner has been using it for about 6 years now with no issues.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a tank previously stored in the owners garage. Was a fantastic tank and never had any issues with it. He had said it was stored a similar amount of time as you have planned.

Bentonb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine, yea it may get cold in October/November/December, but shouldn't warp anything, and silicone should be fine. Just watch out for the tornadoes :)

ps. I've spent half my life in NE Oklahoma :)

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine, yea it may get cold in October/November/December, but shouldn't warp anything, and silicone should be fine. Just watch out for the tornadoes :)

ps. I've spent half my life in NE Oklahoma :)
Spent 1/2 mine in NE Ok too! Heck the town might even be on the map now! :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back