Putting canopy on a Rimless Glass tank..can I do it?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am going to be building a canopy for my rimless tank. My tank which is a 115 gl tank has no upper black rim. What I am wondering is can I setup a canopy directly on top of the glass tank or will I need to suspend it just about the glass? I wasn’t sure if it is ok to put the weight of a canopy directly into the tank. I would suppose it would help it from bowing to some extent. Anyway, any advice is appreciated . The tank is 5’ so I estimate my canopy will weigh about 60lbs with the light fixture .

Thanks!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not think putting something on top of a tank will help it from bowing. Second - I assume you have a rimless tank for aesthetics - a canopy 'on' the tank could affect that. What is the reason you want a canopy? I would suggest you hang whatever light you want over the tank - and get a mesh lid - to prevent jumping, etc.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think putting something on top of a tank will help it from bowing. Second - I assume you have a rimless tank for aesthetics - a canopy 'on' the tank could affect that. What is the reason you want a canopy? I would suggest you hang whatever light you want over the tank - and get a mesh lid - to prevent jumping, etc.
Hi,...I am wanting to add a canopy to “hide” the lights from view as it sits in the Living area. I can either suspend it where the bottom is literally 1/2” above the glass line or preferably have it rest right on the glass. I just am not sure with tanks that don’t have the back or brown plastic trim on the top if I can do that ..thus the reason for my question

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,...I am wanting to add a canopy to “hide” the lights from view as it sits in the Living area. I can either suspend it where the bottom is literally 1/2” above the glass line or preferably have it rest right on the glass. I just am not sure with tanks that don’t have the back or brown plastic trim on the top if I can do that ..thus the reason for my question
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I would talk to the tank manufacturer directly. Most rimless tanks - to my experience - are designed to not have a copy set directly on them. I'm sure many people have done that - whether right or wrong - but It could be tank specific.

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you wanted to hide the lights you could build an enclosure just for the lights with some sort of visor/shield to prevent excessive light from getting into the room. That way you can preserve the rimless look. Something like this:
1620175966970.png

Attachments

• 1620175969809.png
    1620175969809.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you wanted to hide the lights you could build an enclosure just for the lights with some sort of visor/shield to prevent excessive light from getting into the room. That way you can preserve the rimless look. Something like this:
1620175966970.png
old post but, is that being hung from the ceiling?

Back