Putting ceramic media into a bucket with bottled bacteria

claybers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put my ceramic plate (that I plan to use for my aquarium that will come in next week) into a bucket of saltwater and pour a bottle of nitrifying bacteria in it? I feel this will be more concentrated and allow the bacteria to really grow on the ceramic plate.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put my ceramic plate (that I plan to use for my aquarium that will come in next week) into a bucket of saltwater and pour a bottle of nitrifying bacteria in it? I feel this will be more concentrated and allow the bacteria to really grow on the ceramic plate.
Why wouldn't you pour it onto rock?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also be careful about ceramic plates. Depending on the composition of the material used it might contain nasty stuff that could leach into the water. Some might be fine but I don't know that all plates are created equal. Just something to think about. Is there a reason you're using that instead of rock (which was asked)?

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory this should work just fine. Just be sure to add an air stone or something because nitrifiers are very much aerobic.

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get a piece of live rock, rubble, or sand, with circulation, heater and some light. maybe nutrients

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back