Putting my rockscape on stilts

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am building a new pico bare bottom that has a requirement for low maintenance. I'd also like to grow some encrusting coral on the bottom and don't want it overtaking the rock work. Given both of these needs, I would like to raise the rockwork off the glass.

To do this, I plan on drilling holes into the bottom of the rockwork, and sinking acrylic rods/tubes into them with super glue. Then, I'll cut the rods to length.

I have three main questions:
How high should the rockwork sit above the glass to prevent encrusters from jumping onto it and to allow adequate flow?

How can I ensure that the holes I drill are all straight/at the correct angle, and that the rods are cut evenly?

Are there any problems with doing this that I'm overlooking? Are there better alternatives? Similar experiences?

Check out my build thread for more details and pictures of the current progress. Thanks in advance for everybody's help on this!

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high should the rockwork sit above the glass to prevent encrusters from jumping onto it and to allow adequate flow?

I guess the other part of this question is at what point does it start to look bad

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of this, but struggled to get it to work well due to the questions you raise. Maybe its easier in a pico size.
Anyway - Paul B has a bunch of threads, one on rock building - it shows a ring he creates to elevate his reef. Might be the ticket for you. Sorry, you'll have to search to find it.

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B has a bunch of threads, one on rock building - it shows a ring he creates to elevate his reef. Might be the ticket for you. Sorry, you'll have to search to find it.

Cool! Do you know if he started the thread or if someone else did? And around when it was posted? I started looking through his threads but got to 2018 and didn't see it. Anything you remember about it that I can use to search would be useful. Thanks for the pointer!

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I found it!

Super neat, but I don't think it will work well in my pico just because of the size. I have only two pieces of rock to position as two different islands. Maybe I could make something similar to set each piece on top of... Hmmm

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my base rock is on acrylic pylons suspended above the sandbed. Think tripod -- although for larger rocks I have 4 pylons. I drilled the rock, then glued in longish rods. The trimmed to length with PVC pipe cutters.

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think tripod -- although for larger rocks I have 4 pylons. I drilled the rock, then glued in longish rods. The trimmed to length with PVC pipe cutters.

Aah, yes!! Tripod seems much easier because it eliminates the need to align the holes. I think I have some PVC cutters too. I'll try this route and post back - thanks for the insight!

OP
OP
eag

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - ended up doing the tripod thing. I think it worked out pretty well! Getting the clearance right was kind of difficult, and due to the shape and thickness of the rock in various places, ended up with some stilts longer and more noticeable than others. In the coming weeks, I might explore some options for making them look more natural (a mortar coating or something, maybe?).

Check out this post on my build thread for pictures! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lifegard-aquatics-7-4g-pico-build-the-burry.736530/post-7722700

Big thanks to everyone here for all the input and guidance

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - ended up doing the tripod thing. I think it worked out pretty well! Getting the clearance right was kind of difficult, and due to the shape and thickness of the rock in various places, ended up with some stilts longer and more noticeable than others. In the coming weeks, I might explore some options for making them look more natural (a mortar coating or something, maybe?).

Check out this post on my build thread for pictures! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lifegard-aquatics-7-4g-pico-build-the-burry.736530/post-7722700

Big thanks to everyone here for all the input and guidance
Very cool!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back