Putting my toes back in the water

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had many salt tanks at one time or another, but it's been 20 years since I've had one. A lot has changed. I've never had a reef tank with the exception of an old Eclipse tank that got overgrown with mushrooms.

I bought a used Oceanic HQI 29g Biocube and stand. The tank had been used for frags by the last owner. It came with a MH lamp, but it wasn't in good shape so I got a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue for it. So far, I've put in 25lb of sand and 19lb of rock. I used Fritz RPM for salt. The water is a mix of RODI water, charcoal filtered water, and a bit of tap as well. I added Prime and waited for a day, and then added Turbo start 900. (3 days ago)

I added a rotator attachment to the pump outlet that changes the water direction to help avoid dead spots. I got an inTank media basket for the tank as well. My plan is to run filter floss at the top, Chemi-pure Blue in the middle, and Matrix in the lower chamber. I am cycling the tank with the stock Coralife filter and plan to add the media basket in a few days.

My goal is to have a few fish, a clean up crew, and some easy corals.

Fish plan:
2 Occy Clowns (obligatory)
Orchid Dottyback or Royal Gramma
2 Banggai or firefish
Maybe a watchman goby - not sure
Cleaner shrimp

CUC plan:
5 hermit crab
5 Astrea and/or Trochus snails
Maybe an Emerald crab
Tuxedo or pincushion urchin

Corals:
I'm open on this. I'd like beginner corals that won't try to take over the tank. I was thinking of Zoas, Hammer, bubble, Duncan, or candy cane. I need to do more research.

I'd love some feedback on the order I should add the fish and my fish choices. Suggestions are welcome. I'd also like some advice on easy starter corals that might work for my setup.

From my light to the top of the rocks is about 13" and to the sand is about 22"

I'd like some feedback on lighting and water movement. Will the A80 cut it or should I get a prime 16? Regardless of light, should I look at adding a Nero 3 or similar to increase movement? (I'm getting conflicting answers at my LFS about both of the subjects)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Biocube.jpg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really have to add clowns to the tank? You'd have so much more flexibiity if you opted for other fish, as they can be territorial when paired.

I'm a big fan of active LPS polyps. Duncans are a great idea, but so are *mussa (insert prefix as desired) colonies.

Your aquascape looks great. :)

OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really have to add clowns to the tank? You'd have so much more flexibiity if you opted for other fish, as they can be territorial when paired.

I'm a big fan of active LPS polyps. Duncans are a great idea, but so are *mussa (insert prefix as desired) colonies.

Your aquascape looks great. :)
Thanks! What would you suggest if I didn't put clowns in?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What would you suggest if I didn't put clowns in?
It all depends on what you want to see. :)

I personally like a tank with active tank mates with interesting personalities. You don't have a lot of volume...but on the other hand, it's a great size for an interesting setup. Most of the following fish are available as captive-bred specimens:

I personally love captive-bred orchid dottybacks, but some people continue to report real aggression problems with them, although I've never seen that with mine. If you're interested, you can read a number of threads on this site about dottyback pairs, or even a harem. I wouldn't try a harem with the size of your tank.

If I had access to them, I might want to have a species tank with pygmy white-spotted filefish -- they're a fantastic, engaging fish that are very personable.

Most gobies are a great addition, if you don't mind engaging in a staring contest with something with a permascowl. And you could even pair a watchman with a pistol shrimp, and you definitely have the right size for that.

Blennies are also very underrated and quite personable. Some are fanged and venomous, so you do have to watch our for that.

I'm not really into clowns, although I understand that people love them. I had a skunk clown pair and they were very nice, but all they did was bob up and down over a bare rock all day, and didn't roam the tank at all.

OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on what you want to see. :)

I personally like a tank with active tank mates with interesting personalities. You don't have a lot of volume...but on the other hand, it's a great size for an interesting setup. Most of the following fish are available as captive-bred specimens:

I personally love captive-bred orchid dottybacks, but some people continue to report real aggression problems with them, although I've never seen that with mine. If you're interested, you can read a number of threads on this site about dottyback pairs, or even a harem. I wouldn't try a harem with the size of your tank.

If I had access to them, I might want to have a species tank with pygmy white-spotted filefish -- they're a fantastic, engaging fish that are very personable.

Most gobies are a great addition, if you don't mind engaging in a staring contest with something with a permascowl. And you could even pair a watchman with a pistol shrimp, and you definitely have the right size for that.

Blennies are also very underrated and quite personable. Some are fanged and venomous, so you do have to watch our for that.

I'm not really into clowns, although I understand that people love them. I had a skunk clown pair and they were very nice, but all they did was bob up and down over a bare rock all day, and didn't roam the tank at all.
I was really looking at an orchid dottyback, but then had many people tell me that it can be aggressive and to make it the last fish added to the tank if I was going to have one. I was considering a yellow watchman goby as well. Would a pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp be okay together? I've always loved scooter blennies, but I've not had great success with them in the past. Even before "Nemo", I loved clownfish. I think Maroons are my favorites, but I understand they can be very aggressive so I'm not going to put any in this tank.

Do you think the A80 will be enough light or should I bite the bullet and get a Prime 16 and run it at 50%-60%? Should I look into getting a Nero 3 or an Icecap Gyre 2k?

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Love the aquascape!

I'm a fan of my clowns (all I have in my 22g currently.) I'll be adding a firefish goby in the future.

As for equipment, really happy with my AI prime 16hd as well as my Nero 3.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really looking at an orchid dottyback, but then had many people tell me that it can be aggressive and to make it the last fish added to the tank if I was going to have one. I was considering a yellow watchman goby as well. Would a pistol shrimp and a cleaner shrimp be okay together? I've always loved scooter blennies, but I've not had great success with them in the past. Even before "Nemo", I loved clownfish. I think Maroons are my favorites, but I understand they can be very aggressive so I'm not going to put any in this tank.

Do you think the A80 will be enough light or should I bite the bullet and get a Prime 16 and run it at 50%-60%? Should I look into getting a Nero 3 or an Icecap Gyre 2k?
I have an orchid dottyback pair with a mandarin in an Evo; the other dottyback pair is in a 65g RSM 250 with other fish. All are captive-bred. I've never seen any aggression except the typical marital squabbling, but it's typically short-lived. I can't discount other reefers' stories, though, and I don't know what to say about that.

I can't imagine that a pistol and cleaner shrimp would come into conflict with each other, as they occupy different tank niches. I could be wrong, though.

The corals on your want list aren't really light-hungry, so I'd go easy on the equipment at first. If you do that, you can look around, and maybe score a good deal in the marketplace forum if you do decide to get an upgrade. :)

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget to wash your feet before you dip them in the water :p
If you haven't started a build thread yet, you definitely should because I think a lot of people will want to follow your build. You have a very good, unique rockscape that lends itself to a lot of options :)

OP
OP
T

Theolox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I traded in the Kessil A80 in for a Prime 16. I think it's the right choice. I'd rather have the right equipment up front. My cycle is going well, but slower than expected. The ammonia is down and the nitrites are up a bit. I'll keep testing. I'm a fan of glass lids, but I'm wondering how the glass and the condensation on the glass will affect the efficiency of the light. I am also wanting to limit evaporation as much as I can so I'm not which direction to go.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back