Putting Pond Matrix to the test now that Marinepure is out!

How long before the nitrates drop?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • 4 weeks

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • 8 weeks

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • They will stay the same

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after adding the Pond Matrix to my refugium I have lowered my vodka dose by about 25%. 15ML after being up to 20ML. I will continue to lower the amount of Vodka I use until I start seeing something on the test results. Currently my test results are at 0-0-(~1) I have the slightest tint of pink on my Nitrates (Red Sea). I believe the matrix will continue to get stronger bacteria wise overtime. I have my vodka hooked up to a dosing unit the bolus doses twice a day. I still strongly believe in this method of carbon dosing however, there are some negative effects and if I can lower the amount dosed by having bio media I'd prefer it.

I have lowered the photo period on my refugium because growth has slowed. I also hope to better balance my PH by running it on an opposite schedule.

Overall, my polyp extension is great and the tank appears to be healthy and thriving. Most of my coral has been in there less than two weeks so I cannot comment on growth yet.

bF17lgj.jpg

qbHBq0u.jpg

Rue91YK.jpg

AbjynjH.jpg

I've noticed even the ammonia doesnt have the slightest hint of yellow like when I test my RODI water. With my huge bioload this is very impressive results.

Here's a fuge shot.
0PUw0ab.jpg

I carved a skull out of live rock. I hope to drop a peacock mantis in there at some point and let him take residence under it

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to give a quick update.

I've placed the Matrix in my refugium of my 600g system and incorporated the 150g reef tank. I have been adding coral food and amino's to the tank as well. Despite this my nutrients are are 0 across the board. I know 0 phosphates is not desirable but I have been broadcast feeding and I have a huge bioload for a two month old tank (6 large tangs, two huge Zebra Morays, and various smaller fish. A week ago I added 20+ SPS frags and a clam and they all seem to be doing well.

I have been able to lower the amount of vodka to 10ml from 20ml while still having undetectable nutrients. The cyno I had in the refugium is pretty much gone on it's own. I don't know if this was attributed to lowering the vodka or just the tank becoming established. I've also lowered the photo period to 14 hours opposite to the tank to help balance PH.

Some other contributing factors; my SRO 5000 pulls out a ridiculous amount of waste. Even on a dry setting I'm pulling out a 2/3 full skimmer of black sludge every 3 days. The foam even comes out of the holes in the top. I don't know if this is just waste leftover or my bioload is truly that high. I've also been using Sponge Power which works surprisingly well and switched from feeding pellets to real foods. I buy shrimp and nori from Costco at a fraction of the cost of the LFS food.

Here's an updated pic of the 250
gqXBbAM.jpg

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big long post on this forum about marine pure and the release of Al. it is pretty much confirmed that it is leached into the systems. What is not known is what kind of AL and what effects if any are caused. The only negatives noted that I can remember reading the post is some slightly less polyp extension on leathers only. No other types of coral have been reported to be effected FWIW. Just food for thought.

I personally run 2 big blocks and 2 smaller blocks on my 215 and have seen no effects on any of my corals (sps, lps, zoas, nems.)

It is also not clear that it leeches much of any significance once established. I think this is also overplayed. I doubt most people who think Marinepure is causing a problem in their tanks are right.

A little anecdotal evidence; I thought it was and had to disabuse myself of the notion. Occam would encourage folks to look to simpler, more common causes of their problems.

OP
OP
Roggio

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of this comes down to what your price of mind is worth and how much you have invested in your tank. Honestly, I have a large bio load and my tank is still all over the place. I’ve been dosing vodka the last few months and now I’m having issues. One day my tank had 0 No3 and PO4. I lowered the dose and had to stop dosing all together. The lack of nutrients took a major toll on my tank. After only a few days of doing 50g water changes daily my coral looked better but my nutrients were through the roof. I went back to dosing 16 ml a day on a 600g system and I’m back down to 0 everything. In this time I have upgraded the skimmer (two months ago) and dripped the effluent line into the fuge (Chaeto grew faster).

I have 6 gallons of marinepure spheres, a marinepure block, and a five gallon bucket of pond matrix in my sump. The pond matrix looks cool in my fuge.

I honestly can’t attest to how well these are working in my system. I watch the pros use it in their systems. I see them mature tanks faster by adding media from an established tank into a new one. My pod and amphipod population loves living in it. It’s created a cryptic area where sponges and weird worms eat waste. Honestly, just look at your budget and goals. When my tank settles and I get my triton results i’ll report back. This stuff works but there’s a lot of variables.

Bigzman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recent update. I have 15liters of pond matrix and nitrates are still 20 plus. 6 months in. All started well for me. 2 months in and no3 was near zero. As time went on and dropping carbon source no3 went up. I added a fuge now as well. Tank specs: 330gallon and 100 gallon sump with a 45 gallon fuge. I dose 35ml of vinager daily.

A lot of this comes down to what your price of mind is worth and how much you have invested in your tank. Honestly, I have a large bio load and my tank is still all over the place. I’ve been dosing vodka the last few months and now I’m having issues. One day my tank had 0 No3 and PO4. I lowered the dose and had to stop dosing all together. The lack of nutrients took a major toll on my tank. After only a few days of doing 50g water changes daily my coral looked better but my nutrients were through the roof. I went back to dosing 16 ml a day on a 600g system and I’m back down to 0 everything. In this time I have upgraded the skimmer (two months ago) and dripped the effluent line into the fuge (Chaeto grew faster).

I have 6 gallons of marinepure spheres, a marinepure block, and a five gallon bucket of pond matrix in my sump. The pond matrix looks cool in my fuge.

I honestly can’t attest to how well these are working in my system. I watch the pros use it in their systems. I see them mature tanks faster by adding media from an established tank into a new one. My pod and amphipod population loves living in it. It’s created a cryptic area where sponges and weird worms eat waste. Honestly, just look at your budget and goals. When my tank settles and I get my triton results i’ll report back. This stuff works but there’s a lot of variables.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back