Putting the most popular PAR meters to the test | BRStv Investigates

Which PAR meter would you most likely choose?

• Total voters

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video - really appreciate that BRS not only contributes to our collective knowledge through science, but also helps to improve the tools and techniques. Other vendors may have discovered the discrepancies and moved on, but you guys went the step farther and took action to correct the situation. Cheers!

I test my lights with a Seneye. Didn't know about the "outer ring" challenge - thanks! (As you suggest in the vid, I'm usually testing the outer ring area at a 20"+ depth, so unlikely to matter, but still good to know.)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video - really appreciate that BRS not only contributes to our collective knowledge through science, but also helps to improve the tools and techniques. Other vendors may have discovered the discrepancies and moved on, but you guys went the step farther and took action to correct the situation. Cheers!

I test my lights with a Seneye. Didn't know about the "outer ring" challenge - thanks! (As you suggest in the vid, I'm usually testing the outer ring area at a 20"+ depth, so unlikely to matter, but still good to know.)

I'm going to test with and with out the black cover on if that will help increase the angle readings.

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Seneye can be a pain to use especially connecting it to a PC. But I like that it monitors PH and ammonia so I use it on my quarantine tank and extra security when I leave the tank alone for a few days.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Seneye can be a pain to use especially connecting it to a PC. But I like that it monitors PH and ammonia so I use it on my quarantine tank and extra security when I leave the tank alone for a few days.

I never had an issue with the PC connection and trying out a SWS webserver out now which I'll write up another thread comparing the two. But I totally agree, I will not leave out of town with out an active slide in place. It could have potentially helped save many fish of mine a couple years ago.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...-for-the-established-tank-i-think-not.258297/

Last edited:

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never had an issue with the PC connection and trying out a SWS webserver out now which I'll write up another thread comparing the two. But I totally agree, I will not leave out of town with out an active slide in place. It could have potentially helped save many fish of my a couple years ago.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...-for-the-established-tank-i-think-not.258297/

I should clarify that I'm a Mac user and the software is PC only. I have to use my work laptop with the seneye. Maybe I should try the web server.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this. It is quite amazing that BRS was out ahead of everyone on the accuracy issues you discovered - great job! makes you wonder what the impact might be for all of those other folks. I've heard back from Apogee (almost an instant response):

"We are aware of the discrepancies outlined in the Bulk Reef Supply video and are currently testing and developing the best solution for our MQ-510 and aquarium customers. We will update you with the solution accordingly."

Thanks again BRS!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is very interesting. I have been thinking about purchasing a PAR meter. Thanks for the great info.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always great information from BRS... Perfect timing I am on the market for a Par meter and the Apogee full spectrum that connects directly in your device was my choice at around $300. Never heard of the Seneye until today and would never have considered until your video...add in the PH, temperature it seems like a no brainer at this point. I do worry that the seneye could break after 1 year and I trust the apogee will last much longer.. But thats the chance we take,,, perhaps it will last 5+ years.. Thanks for the great video

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this. It is quite amazing that BRS was out ahead of everyone on the accuracy issues you discovered - great job! makes you wonder what the impact might be for all of those other folks. I've heard back from Apogee (almost an instant response):

"We are aware of the discrepancies outlined in the Bulk Reef Supply video and are currently testing and developing the best solution for our MQ-510 and aquarium customers. We will update you with the solution accordingly."

Thanks again BRS!
I heard the same thing from them. Wonder how long it will take them to come up with solution.

mlandscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the web server. I just have the USB sensor and I connect it to the pc and use the software.

There is no Mac version of the software.
Yes I know there is no Mac software but if you have the SWS you can use a Mac

Back