PVC Hybrid sump has crack in bracing, how can I mend it?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PVC Hybrid sump. The top bracing has a small hairline crack between the sock section and skimmer section. Im pretty sure its not a major part in holding the sump together as much as it is for holding the lids in place. My question is, what can I use to mend the crack for PVC material? I have some weldon stuff from fixing an acrylic sump in the past but not sure if that will work with PVC?

7866B246-A671-4751-A575-728206C281F5.jpeg E8DB5CAE-3707-4BEF-972F-7AB74889BCCC.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably leave it but if you want to repair it, id clean it good with alcohol, smear some clear pvc primer on the crack, let it dry for a minute, and then smear some clear pvc glue over the crack. You can pull the pvc brace apart a hair to let the glue settle into the crack so it mends more reliabily vs just bridging the glue.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably leave it but if you want to repair it, id clean it good with alcohol, smear some clear pvc primer on the crack, let it dry for a minute, and then smear some clear pvc glue over the crack. You can pull the pvc brace apart a hair to let the glue settle into the crack so it mends more reliabily vs just bridging the glue.
That sounds like a solid plan!

thanks!

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try getting a couple of syringes with the finest needles that will still allow PVC primer and glue to flow through them so it can be injected right into the crack. The glue may require too large a needle to make it work though. Just an idea.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also try getting a couple of syringes with the finest needles that will still allow PVC primer and glue to flow through them so it can be injected right into the crack. The glue may require too large a needle to make it work though. Just an idea.
I was almost thinking a left over salifert .ml syringe but not sure if it would lock up right away. I may give that a go, thanks for the idea! I'd like to keep it clean looking. If it doesn't work I'll tape it off.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone. AA said it’s not structural. I leak tested the sump and there was no separation of the crack so no pressure or bowing there. I’ll just be filling it with Weldon or pvc cement with syringe.
Thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back