PVC to acrylic sump repair help

jdschwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic sump with pvc baffles. On the left side of a pvc wall is my RODI top off reservoir, on the right is my refugium. There is a small leak at the seam of the PVC baffle to the acrylic wall. How do I re-seal this joint?

641A5D76-6F9F-47E9-93F0-90F90076DD72.jpeg

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the crack is.... what I did to make sure was adding a acrylic panel on top of repaired spot with weldon

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic sump with pvc baffles. On the left side of a pvc wall is my RODI top off reservoir, on the right is my refugium. There is a small leak at the seam of the PVC baffle to the acrylic wall. How do I re-seal this joint?

641A5D76-6F9F-47E9-93F0-90F90076DD72.jpeg
Get some aquarium sealant, I forget what its called but the same stuff the seal tanks with and just bead that down it, let it dry and boom.

adreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the aquarium sealant (aquarium-safe silicone). You obviously can't use silicone on acrylic or pvc for anything structural, but as long as the surfaces are clean, it should stick plenty good enough to seal a small leak like that. You could also rough up the area a little with some sand paper to get it to stick better.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone on acrylic not a good choice.
Get “Amazing Goop” at hardware store. It is as the name says

adreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing Goop may stick better, but is says on their label "Not recommended for any items that come into contact with food, drinking water, or animals."
Unless they have an aquarium-safe product that I am unaware of.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing Goop may stick better, but is says on their label "Not recommended for any items that come into contact with food, drinking water, or animals."
Unless they have an aquarium-safe product that I am unaware of.
Can only tell you I have made many sumps and repairs over the years with it and never had an issue. Have used regular, plumbers, and marine versions. All with good results. My sump I used regular over 10 years ago, still as strong as day one. Also don’t do water changes so if it was bad...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back