Pygmy angelfish bulling new tank mate

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Picked up a fairy wrasse today and my pygmy angelfish is bulling it to no end - Wondering whether they will stop this behavior after they have "established their territory" or if I'm going to have to relocate the angelfish - Any insight is appreciated - Thank you in advance!

Postullio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way to really know untill it happens. Its usually best to add the pygmy last as it has a much better chance of not bullying. Also depend on tank size. More room higher chance if it stopping. I added mine last and it never happened and he's friend with everyone

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fairy wrasse did you add to your tank?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes fish calm down but its possible this behavior will not stop until the wrasse is dead. Pygmy angelfish are semi aggressive.

OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great wrasse, they aren’t pushovers but they’re not tough either. How’s the aggression level today?
He's either hiding or dead. Can't find him at all. If the bullying continues, I'll take him back to the lfs as I don't want to harm him. Very sad, he seems like such a docile/calm wrasse

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's either hiding or dead. Can't find him at all. If the bullying continues, I'll take him back to the lfs as I don't want to harm him. Very sad, he seems like such a docile/calm wrasse
If you don’t see a body then (fingers crossed) he’s probably hiding. I agree with your plan. If the aggression continues to the level that the wrasse can’t come out to eat or is taking damage then it’s time to remove one of them.

OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t see a body then (fingers crossed) he’s probably hiding. I agree with your plan. If the aggression continues to the level that the wrasse can’t come out to eat or is taking damage then it’s time to remove one of them.
Haven't seen him all day. No sightings at either feedings. Just saddened that he might be dead :/ I feel terrible.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen him all day. No sightings at either feedings. Just saddened that he might be dead :/ I feel terrible.
Let’s hope for the best, but is there any chance the wrasse could’ve jumped out of your tank?

OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. He has come out of hiding. Is in the top corner of the tank and won't really budge. If he ventures out to far, he gets nipped at again. Not sure whether to let then sort it out or just take him back to the lfs. I want to do the responsible thing as a pet owner.

OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to see if the other fish will allow him to exist anywhere else in the tank over the course of the day. If not, I'll take the poor guy back.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flameback and any fish that is added afterwards is dead regardless of size. I tried a flasher wrasse and he was running away like a shark was chasing him

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. He has come out of hiding. Is in the top corner of the tank and won't really budge. If he ventures out to far, he gets nipped at again. Not sure whether to let then sort it out or just take him back to the lfs. I want to do the responsible thing as a pet owner.
I'm going to see if the other fish will allow him to exist anywhere else in the tank over the course of the day. If not, I'll take the poor guy back.
Glad to hear that he's still alive. Have you witnessed the wrasse eating since he's been in your tank? Is he still confined to the top corner or are the others letting him swim around a little?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back