Pygmy or Dwarf Angels, who has them?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a LFS today and I saw some amazing dwarf angels that I barely left without. From what I have read there are some that may or may not be reef safe.

Does anybody have a dwarf or pygmy angel in their tanks?

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't but I have heard and been told first hand that it is really a fish to fish issue. You can have two Flame angels and one won't eat coral and one will. I have talked to the proprietor of RCThawaii.com and he has told me that 98% of his fish have not nipped or ate any coral due to there being captive bred and raised on frozen, dry marine fare. I don't think there is one specific species that is labeled a non coral nipper.
What kind were they?

James

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have read and been told about those two specifically is a no go...I was going to get a Potters a few months ago and take a chance, and a LFS friend of mine who has more experience in angels them said not to..They will devastate your clams and LPS, Softy polyps....The same thing with Lemon peels....Reef Junkie and I had been helping a guy over in RC with his zoas and I think RJ and me came to the conclusion that his Lemon Peel was the culprit. He took the zoanthids to a buddies and they opened back up with 48 hrs minus all of the skirts on the polyps....I have heard though they are fine in SPS tanks....No issue there.

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a Flame Angel, and a Coral Beauty in my 300 display with no issues in over a year. The Coral Beauty chased the heck out of the Flame Angel when the Flame was introduced, but now they swim with each other. Have not seen either mess with any corals.

Shultz

Spiderman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Flames & Potters without problems, but dwarf angels are really just pot luck....

Though most agree that Lemon Peels are the worst of the lot

Cheers Shelton.

mbunaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Flame and an African Flameback and they are model citizens. I used to have a Potters but he went carpet surfing never bothered my zoos or my clams. This is my first post thi forum is great!!!!

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty in the 80g softie tank. Other livestock includes, black and white clown, yellow wrasse, australian damsel, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and a bunch of snails and hermits.

All the fish get along, and swim all over the tank together. None of the softies, including zoas have been bothered.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flameback angel (Brazzillian) and he didnt mess with zoa's,sps, or lps. He did have a taste for my blue xenia.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh! Hope you didn't pay a ton for that blue xenia as it seems to fetch a high price as least from the posts on RC. By the way, love the avatar creetin :D

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, sorry :( I have only a flame angel in the tank... used to have a coral beauty also but traded him for my panther grouper... RJ as been MIA for a bit- did his tank crash again? :(

:D
Laurie

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a flame that did pick at corals.

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an african flameback that is passive to everyone else in the tank and has never touched a coral-one of my favorite fish I have ever had-I maintain a 1,500 gallon tank for a private owner by my school and there is a rusty in there that is quite the bully-if you guys are interested I can start a post and show you some pics of the tank, its a 1,500 reef.

Deec77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral beauty and he has pick on anything yet and I've had him for about a year and a half.

I would love to see pictures too Tyree!

~Dee~

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back