Pygmy Possum Wrasse and Christmas Tree Worms Compatibility

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small white banded possum wrasse for about half a year. I would like to get a xmas tree worm on a porites coral rock and wanted to see if the possum would go after them.

The tank is pretty small (Red Sea Nano) but I feed heavy and dose phyto (also have a small ato-turned-refuge).

Any experiences keeping the possum and feather dusters or xmas tree worms together successfully?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be okay; I can't image them going after fan worms of that size - pretty big relative to their mouth.

OP
OP
doodledreads

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I was skeptical because I had these tiny feather dusters before I put the wrasse in and they slowly disappeared (not sure the little guy is responsible) and never came back. I will give this a try!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My possum wrasse never ate the x-mas worms, though something else did. I have to keep them in my frag tank now and they do fine there.

OP
OP
doodledreads

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy from my LFS as they always have your products in stock (Nemo's Reef in Charlotte). I will be glad to share how my set up looks like. I will shoot a video when dosing this week.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats comforting!! I always wanted the x-mas worms. Do they multiply in reef tanks?

If it is happy, the porites coral will grow and 'regular' fan worms will grow into the coral; but the colorful x-mas worms have never multiplied for me - and I've had colonies get to be a decade old. My oldest currently is 3 years.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They used to be easy to find, but survival was poor so LFS around me stopped getting them. I remember some fantastically colored specimens. I've seen them occasionally locally, and usually snap them up if the porites coral remains in good shape. Often, however, the coral is dead or dying and best to pass.

OP
OP
doodledreads

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad. I did some snuba in Bahamas last December, and got to see them up close. Instantly fell in love!

Found some on J&L Aquatics, but they don't ship to USA (they are in Canada). Bummer. I put in a note with my two LFS to keep an eye out or order me some if possible.

Back