Pyramid Butterfly day 14 Copper is this Ich?

hokiereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second thread in 2days as I’m new to quarantine procedures ( thanks for the help!!).

I have had a pyramid butterfly in copper. This is day 14. Copper Power at 2.5PPM.
Check every other day, just checked again.
Just saw 2 spots on tail fin.
Thoughts?

9741FAAE-1A99-49D0-B3C2-A2FDEF1D02DA.jpeg 69C5EB86-28A7-4E05-834A-5144A3F20EA0.jpeg 3D14805C-4812-479C-8224-1421FB48C46C.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would appear to be ich. I’d continue the QT and ensure you maintain the 2.5 ppm. If you drop the dosage even for a day you have to start all over again.

OP
OP
hokiereef

hokiereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll continue QT, thx. Hopefully they fall off and the clock starts again today with no relapse.
I was very cautious, checked the levels every other day, did a water change and checked new water before change and then after. Fairly certain it has been above 2.5 the whole time.

This quarantine and treatment part of the hobby sure is tough.
If I started in the hobby quarantining the right way 12 years ago, I'm not sure I'd still be in it.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those white spots are concentrated at the edges of the butterfly's fins, they may well be Lymphocystis. Lymph is a viral disease, and there's no known cure - but it's a mild virus, like cold sores, and unless the nodules interfere with the fish's feeding or breathing it's generally not a cause for concern at all.

~B.

OP
OP
hokiereef

hokiereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight! Was what I hoped - a possibility that was not Ich.
I'll still keep an eye on it and see if it spreads or drops off.

From reading about it good water conditions are key, and my qt is pretty dirty as I expected to transfer at 15 days (today).

I'll do a water change making sure to keep copper at 2.5. I have a hanna checker.
Then, to be safe, I'll run another 2 weeks at 2.5 and do some more frequent changes.

Thank you all so much for the input!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed .... fluffy white on edge of fins is usually lympho. Probably the ‘stress’ of copper.

OP
OP
hokiereef

hokiereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 days of copper, 2 rounds of Prazi, and 2 weeks of unmedicated observation are complete.
Only issue is what i see other Pyramid butterfly owners talk about and wrestle with- what looks like missing scales. They have been there since early in qt and they do not become full blown infections... just look like little discolorations that heal slowly.

I'm adding to DT as soon as salinity is right - unless someone has info on Pyramids with these discolorations that causes me to pause.
Thanks!
IMG_2123.jpg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Lympho, Pyramids commonly do have flukes, and while you did dose Prazi, personally I do like a FW dip as well. Scales take months to heal and remain as long lasting "diry spot" discoloration.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discoloration and missing scales is very common. That large white body shows any flaw easily.
He looks good to go to DT.
They are pretty hearty and mine went through QT very well. And that was with his upper lip missing.
Word of warning..
They are very fast eating machines once they get comfortable. I have to overfeed my tank just so the other fish get their share.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight! Was what I hoped - a possibility that was not Ich.
I'll still keep an eye on it and see if it spreads or drops off.

From reading about it good water conditions are key, and my qt is pretty dirty as I expected to transfer at 15 days (today).

I'll do a water change making sure to keep copper at 2.5. I have a hanna checker.
Then, to be safe, I'll run another 2 weeks at 2.5 and do some more frequent changes.

Thank you all so much for the input!
I agree, that is probably lymphocystis, and I agree you should run the copper for another 2 weeks.
Jay

Back