Pyramid Butterfly - Injury? Parasite?

Andrew.oh17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was happy to find a small pyramid butterfly a few weeks back from a local LFS.
  • I did a quick dip in hydroplex before adding him to the tank on 7/29
  • The fish ate flakes & mysis when it was added - no signs of injury, although it looked a little thin
  • Today, I noticed something on the mouth of the fish and what looked like an abscess or injury (see photos)
  • When feeding mysis this morning the fish did not eat
  • I've removed the fish and put it in a quick QT for now.
Before moving on with any sort of treatment program, I wanted to crowd source thoughts on what this issue could be. Any thoughts on if this might be a parasite? Maybe an injury?

Other fish in the tank include: hippo tang, melanurus wrasse, tailspot blenny - not much. The only corals I could think it could have come in contact with are a pectinia's sweepers. Aqua UV runs 24/7 @ ~233gph (suggested by manufacturer).

As a note: the lighting was not great for these photos, so colors may be distorted a bit.

DSC_2758.jpg DSC_2745.jpg DSC_2762.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was happy to find a small pyramid butterfly a few weeks back from a local LFS.
  • I did a quick dip in hydroplex before adding him to the tank on 7/29
  • The fish ate flakes & mysis when it was added - no signs of injury, although it looked a little thin
  • Today, I noticed something on the mouth of the fish and what looked like an abscess or injury (see photos)
  • When feeding mysis this morning the fish did not eat
  • I've removed the fish and put it in a quick QT for now.
Before moving on with any sort of treatment program, I wanted to crowd source thoughts on what this issue could be. Any thoughts on if this might be a parasite? Maybe an injury?

Other fish in the tank include: hippo tang, melanurus wrasse, tailspot blenny - not much. The only corals I could think it could have come in contact with are a pectinia's sweepers. Aqua UV runs 24/7 @ ~233gph (suggested by manufacturer).

As a note: the lighting was not great for these photos, so colors may be distorted a bit.

DSC_2758.jpg DSC_2745.jpg DSC_2762.jpg
Looks like a bacterial issue which they’re susceptible to and s ask so notable around its mouth The fish is also somewhat thin.
Is it eating?
Also is it breathing normal or labored?
Is this little guy in quarantine?
Treatment will best be use of Seachem neoplex or kanaplex with increased oxygen utilizing an air stone

OP
OP
Andrew.oh17

Andrew.oh17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Thanks!

Initially it was eating, but did not this morning. The breathing is rapid / labored, currently. He's in QT now with an airstone & a small HOB filter so I can filter out the tank when needed. I've ordered metroplex, but I'll head out now for some neoplex/kanaplex.

Other options I have on hand are:
  • furan-2 (would this work?)
  • cupramine
  • paraguard
  • prazipro
  • formalin

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Thanks!

Initially it was eating, but did not this morning. The breathing is rapid / labored, currently. He's in QT now with an airstone & a small HOB filter so I can filter out the tank when needed. I've ordered metroplex, but I'll head out now for some neoplex/kanaplex.

• cupramine
  • paraguard
  • prazipro
  • formalin
That will work but you will still want to get your hands on the others. I am assuming Vette is going to offer you the Trifecta Treatment if you have the Furan-2!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Thanks!

• cupramine
  • paraguard
  • prazipro
  • formalin
Furan and formalin also good
Assure ammonia level does not become elevated
What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
Andrew.oh17

Andrew.oh17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 I have an extra ammonia badge and API test kits I'll use for now and may put an order for another set. Do you have a preference when you are checking for ammonia specifically?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 I have an extra ammonia badge and API test kits I'll use for now and may put an order for another set. Do you have a preference when you are checking for ammonia specifically?
Hanna or salifert
Api notorious for false readings and badge is also for freshwater
I as I often state will not rely on a $7 badge or $24 master kit to sustain $109 or more of livestock
I recommend taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use API test kits and see what results they come up with and to compare with yours

Back