Pyramid Butterfly - QT

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - I’m hoping someone can help with some guidance/diagnosis on the below photos... I have 2x pyramid butterflies in QT, apart from praziquantel I’ve not used any other meds yet. Both eating well pellets & frozen.

One of them has developed some small extruding lumps/dots and I am unsure whether it could be bacterial or fungal? Keen to get the right treatment ASAP.

Any advice would be well appreciated!! thanks,
Tom
C2B54386-9406-4B76-92B8-FBBFB7FB710F.png

CA7820BF-B61C-40C1-A750-94F6C572E246.png
8E714BB3-81DE-4504-AACA-670D05E81027.png

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish BTW! I will be getting hopefully a trio for my 6 foot 180.

You are lucky as I heard these guys sometimes come in with mouth damage but are otherwise quite hearty. Love them. Was originally considering Heniochus Bannerfish (still think it’s a beautiful fish) but my LFS only has the Acuminatus type in stock so not reef friendly.

Enjoy your new fish! If you want to go the extra mile, soak their food in nutritional supplement like American Marine Selcon.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. I just love them!

Agree with above. The fibrous texture common to Lympho. Adding Beta Glucan can have very good results to help the fish's immune system to suppress this condition.

A mix of frozen food (7-8 cubes) + Beta Glucan (1/2 capsule) + Focus (1 scoop) and a bit of water to the consistency you like to work with. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days.

This is the particular brand I prefer. It's based on algae instead of mushrooms, etc.

IMG_2165.jpg

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 pyramids in QT as we speak and they both have lympho the first picture my fish has that same protrusion only a little higher on its right side i think its pretty common with butterfly fish in QT

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pyramid had the same thing in QT they are extremely susceptible to it. Cleared up in a couple of weeks once he got in the display

OP
OP
Tkipl

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish BTW! I will be getting hopefully a trio for my 6 foot 180.

You are lucky as I heard these guys sometimes come in with mouth damage but are otherwise quite hearty. Love them. Was originally considering Heniochus Bannerfish (still think it’s a beautiful fish) but my LFS only has the Acuminatus type in stock so not reef friendly.

Enjoy your new fish! If you want to go the extra mile, soak their food in nutritional supplement like American Marine Selcon.
Thanks for the reply! hopefully just Lympho then, going to keep an eye on it and will try and find a food supplement to assist. currently been mixing between frozen brine, mysis and regular pellets.

they are great characters, one of my favorites. Apart from the obvious, right now they are looking very healthy. looking forward to getting them into the DT.

OP
OP
Tkipl

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish. I just love them!

Agree with above. The fibrous texture common to Lympho. Adding Beta Glucan can have very good results to help the fish's immune system to suppress this condition.

A mix of frozen food (7-8 cubes) + Beta Glucan (1/2 capsule) + Focus (1 scoop) and a bit of water to the consistency you like to work with. The mix will stay good in the fridge for a few days.

This is the particular brand I prefer. It's based on algae instead of mushrooms, etc.

IMG_2165.jpg
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it, I will take a look for what you suggest. I'm in Aus so hopefully can get hold of something like that or similar down here.

The fish weren't feeding amazingly when I put them into the QT (a week or so ago now) but now all good so I hope whatever it is it is just because of the stint of less appetite. the water is good, 20% water changes every other day. these are my first butterflyfish but I read that these are some of the hardiest (and reef safe to a degree).

OP
OP
Tkipl

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pyramid had the same thing in QT they are extremely susceptible to it. Cleared up in a couple of weeks once he got in the display
This is encouraging! thanks. I am going to keep an eye on it for 2-3 weeks and then move to DT. fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Tkipl

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 pyramids in QT as we speak and they both have lympho the first picture my fish has that same protrusion only a little higher on its right side i think its pretty common with butterfly fish in QT
let me know how you go,can I ask what has been your QT process for these guys, for now I am just monitoring and dosed prazio. have you used copper, I read they can be sensitive so i've been hesitant.

I hope this is just Lympho as others have suggested also. other than these small lumps the fish seem as healthy as anything so looking forward to getting them out of QT and giving them a bit more room.

OP
OP
Tkipl

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting a trio of them. How do you find them in terms of hardiness and disease resistance? Are they particularly susceptible to anything? Would love to know. Thanks.
Will let you know how I go. I have been looking for them for a while and researching though there isn't a huge amount of info out there. I understand they are meant to be relatively hardy as far as butterflies go.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know how you go,can I ask what has been your QT process for these guys, for now I am just monitoring and dosed prazio. have you used copper, I read they can be sensitive so i've been hesitant.

I hope this is just Lympho as others have suggested also. other than these small lumps the fish seem as healthy as anything so looking forward to getting them out of QT and giving them a bit more room.
I treated them for 2 weeks with copper power and metro for 10 days they are currently being treated with furan2 kanaplex and metroplex for another 8 days then I'm moving to dt I'm dosing antibiotics because I didn't know it was lympho til recently but wanted to finish the antibiotic course just in case

OP
OP
Tkipl

Tkipl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated them for 2 weeks with copper power and metro for 10 days they are currently being treated with furan2 kanaplex and metroplex for another 8 days then I'm moving to dt I'm dosing antibiotics because I didn't know it was lympho til recently but wanted to finish the antibiotic course just in case

OK thanks, I could only get hold of Cupramine so I am going to ramp up slowly (over 4-5 days) and hope they tolerate it, if they take a turn for the worse then I'll have to abort. I read that Copper Power is better for these guys but that they can be sensitive.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back