Pyramid snail removal tips.

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid snails are tiny little terrors who have the ability to reproduce very quickly and their strength comes in numbers. It doesn't take long for a bunch of these little parasitic snails to completely decimate a clam. There are thousands of different species of Pyramid snails so positive ID is nearly impossible, some of them only attack clams and some attack other snails, I have had both types. It is also thought that some have the ability to paralyze a clam with toxic saliva to make it easier on themselves. They kill the clams by using a trunk like proboscis to penetrate the clams mantle and suck the body fluids out.

A pic of an adult Pyramid snail next to a toothbrush for size comparison.

DSCN3052.jpg

What you will need to remove these snails from clams, a toothbrush, rigid pointy object I use a pocket knife, but I have used shish kabob skewers in the past, and a tub of water for rinsing. Some people add certain Wrasses to the display tank to help with removing Pyram snails. The problem is that the snails are nocturnal and the Wrasses are diurnal. But IMHO it couldn't hurt to add the Wrasse just in case he snag's a few of them here and there.

DSCN3049.jpg

These snails will be more active when the lights are out so when you do manual removal it is best to do it one hour after the lights turn off.

What you will be looking for is tiny, rice grain sized snails near the opening's of the clam. Mainly the snails will be just under the mantle on the shell. This is also where they usually lay their eggs. IMHO the egg masses are just as or if not more important to remove from the clam than the snails themselves. The eggs will be in clear masses usually as close to the mantle as possible. It is hard to see in this pic but they are the jelly like substance just above my horrible blue arrows.

DSCN3047-1.jpg

DSCN3048.jpg

What I do is take the toothbrush and thoroughly scrub the clam and rinse it repeatedly in the process. Although scrubbing removes a lot of the snails you can't get them all by doing so, there will be snails deep in the folds of the clams scutes and that is where the knife or shish kabob skewer comes in handy. I dig them out and if there are scutes that are grown too closely together to get into I break the scutes out to gain access because 9 out of 10 times there will be snails in there. Breaking the scutes doesn't harm the clam and it won't feel a thing. Here is a pic of a snail that the toothbrush didn't get.

DSCN3050.jpg

Last but not least you will need to check the bottom of the clam near the byssal opening. The snails usually congregate there during the day.

DSCN3051.jpg

Clean Pyram snails off of clams is a long process, you will need to clean them every other night for at least a month. Even if you don't see any snails on nights still keep checking them till you are 100 percent sure they are all gone. Another thing that I do is place a Tupperware container under the clam with a little bit of sand in it. Every time I clean the clam I throw away the sand in the container and replace it with new sand. The snails will burrow down into the sand to hide during the day.

nikesb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for this! i will start this tomorrow as i just went down and found many

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to bump this up. I recently had a question about these little guys :) Thanks Skinz! I think this deserves to be a sticky in the clam section.

wrasseluver

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff. I'll definitely keep my eyes open. I'm really getting into clams and I don't want to risk them.

Shauno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads up-

If you find/have pyramid snails on your clams, make sure you also check your snails: astrea, trochus and turbo's as these can also be preyed upon by pyramid's too. It also makes it very hard to irradicate these pests if they are hitching "rides" on your algae eating snails only to be re-distributed to other clams/areas in your tank.

Nice article Skinz78 ;)

NewB87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Is very interfering! I had a baby ultra maxima clam for a week and a half and found him dead one day about a half inch under the sand bed. I have noticed a bunch of these guys come out at night i mean a bunch. There not as pointed shell as the one in your pics but more rounded! Little tiny white ones, is there any other way to get rid of them other then manually of with a wrasse?

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The round one's shouldn't bother clams. They are just there cleaning up the mess after the deed is done.

Tyrone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any success keeping clams after discovering their clams or snails hosted pyramid snails? If you did you do to eradicate or keep there numbers in check? I tried keeping clams three different times and noticed I had pyramid snails on some of my regular snails. So I did little research and recently added a yellow coris wrasse to my bioload. I check my snails at night every so often. I have been researching for information off forums and someone said that mystery wrasse will eat pyramid snails. I can tell you that mine definitely doesn't touch them but I was successful keeping berghia nudibranch in my 90 gallon reef tank.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coris wrasse is diurnal and pyramids are nocturnal so they won't get them all. The pyramid snail needs its food source removed. All clean up crew snails like astrea, turbos, anything they eat, etc. I would not put a clam in the tank until 5+ months after you removed their food source and are positive you can not find anymore, maybe longer. Pyramids that killed some of our clams came in on astrea snails.

Last edited:

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanerus, corris,and emerald wrasses i have seen them eat mine.
Other than that its manual removal as stated above...i will add that all my squammys are now elevated on pvc so the wrasses can get under them and that has really helped .

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Leg hermits in large numbers can really be snail assassins. Maybe get a few hundred from ReefTopia and you will see them going after the small snails... and the large ones. All of that said, they cannot get the ones that they cannot reach, so scrubbing is still necessary.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I was admiring all the new growth on my blue maxima, I noticed my noae had none, which prompted a closer look. Found about a dozen or so pyramids on it and a couple on my gold maxima. So the battle begins.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have got this type that is impossible to remove: they don’t stay on the clam or snail but feed on them periodically like mosquitoes, otherwise just hanging on live rocks or glass.
I suspect they also eat biofilm or algae and thus impossible to starve to death. ( I also have a bunch of baby snails for them to feed on which are too many to remove).

F774377A-A7C2-49A3-A287-0F0A9D758AC5.jpeg 4274DCF4-B7FA-4237-84B2-7905E45BAB4C.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably have the same, which would explain my cerith population demise and the cause for my conchs deaths? All my trochus, astraea and strombus are fine though. I'll do a nightly plunge and see if I can get a handle on these guys. It's crazy, I could see the new growth on my maxima, almost daily, but very little on the noae. Thought it could be the location and size, but now I know. Ugh!

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably have the same, which would explain my cerith population demise and the cause for my conchs deaths? All my trochus, astraea and strombus are fine though. I'll do a nightly plunge and see if I can get a handle on these guys. It's crazy, I could see the new growth on my maxima, almost daily, but very little on the noae. Thought it could be the location and size, but now I know. Ugh!
I removed about 3-5 each time at night, but hands in tank too frequent ticks everything off. I added a six line and a yellow coris wrasse but didn’t think they did much to improve... I’ve now given up to set up a new tank to relocate my clams

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back