Python For Water Changes

rfft2321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently setup my first salt water tank (Fluval Flex 32 gallon). I had previously had a 55 fresh for about two years. My question related to the python is since you have to know exactly how much you have taken out for a water change, how do you do this when it’s just going down the sink drain? Do you mark the tank some how? Sorry for probably a dumb question but I enjoy using the python for removing the water but just need to figure out a way to know how much I’ve removed so I can put back in the same amount!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, just need to measure once.
I shut off pumps until nothing is going down to sump. Then I started siphoning water from tank into a 5 gallon measured jug and as soon as it reached the 5 gallons I shut off the python and I make a line on the corner of my tank with some glass marker. I have marks up to 25g, every 5g.
Then going forward I just siphon into drain until water hits the mark I want. Hope that helps?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use my python for freshwater tanks for this exact reason. I use an old fashioned gravel vac for my saltwater tanks and drain them into 5 gallon buckets that I've marked each gallon on. I do like the above answer about marking the actual tank though, I may start doing that!

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a piece of scotch tape along the back and marked out 2.5 gallon increments up to 15 gallons. My brute only holds about 17 gallons, so that's as much as I will take out for a single water change.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I got the manual siphon starter for the python. Highly recommend if you need a siphon and don't want to use the sink adapter or suck on the hose! :)

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a $10 pump. Plug it in drop in tank pump out my desired amount. Pump mixed water back in from another bucket. Takes me about 20 minutes for a 10 gallon water change on my 80. I've gotten to the point that I can do it without any drips all over the floor.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you could do, is do a water change into a bucket, like one of those 5g ones from Home depot, and then use a glass marker or tape to mark the water level in the tank. Now next time you do a water change directly into the sink drain, you'll know when to stop to get to that 5g amount. Does that make sense?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back