For or against QT

• Total voters

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm neither, nor am I undecided. I think QT is definitely best practice, but it is not a practice I have implemented. I don't intend to add any more livestock for the foreseeable future, so should any disease arise in my fish down the line, it would not at that point have been preventable by quarantine first. If I do add more fish at some point (should one die or something), there's a higher chance I would quarantine then to protect the existing stock.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely with quarantine if done correctly , with that being said its not a habit that I implemented during my reefing journey for many reasons combined.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be a divisive subject so I'm curious where the majority of people fall. I am in the undecided camp, as my own experiences with Qt were not positive but I don't feel I have enough experience doing it that way to give Qt a hard no.
Exactly what I meant in my post.

I wasn't successful, so no longer do it, and have less loss because of it. With that said, I don't buy to many fish anymore either.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It seems to be a divisive subject so I'm curious where the majority of people fall. I am in the undecided camp, as my own experiences with Qt were not positive but I don't feel I have enough experience doing it that way to give Qt a hard no.

I wish there was a way to get a large portion of R2R members to answer this.
This is actually a pretty important issue.

Last edited:

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m neither. I both did and didn’t, myself. I did not for my FW puffers which was a no-no since they should be dewormed, but it turned out just fine. Both my LFS run prazi and I watched the puffer fish feeding and behaving prior to purchase.

My only real opinion on it is that it is something that should be suggested, and there should be help in setting up a simple, small setup for interested folks folks lacking space or money. The best direction I got on the subject was from the freshwater community tbh, where I learned I could repurpose a lidded container and use an inexpensive foam filter. A few decorations and a heater, and it’s done. I bought a 7 gallon storage container that I can fit on my counter and store when not in use to prep my nano reef fish. I will set that up again if I ever find the pink streaked wrasse I so desperately want to round out my stock.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never QTd, I have never lost fish as a result.
Do I believe it to be prudent to QT, yes.

With that said, how many people have lost fish in the QT process? How many posts are there of hobbyist losing fish while trying to do the right thing?!!!
I don't know if it's poor quality fish with conditions that are exasperated through QT, inexperienced hobbyist or dosing too much.

You have to weigh the options for yourself.
I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer but, if I had a fully stocked tank with really expensive inhabitants, I would definitely QT any new critters.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with polls like this, you won't get a real survey of what the majority does. Only the people who saw the poll and decides to answer.
I'm not knocking your effort, just voicing my opinion on results.
That's a good point hopefully enough people respond to give a little slice of the hobby. Even with 100 respondents it would give a decent picture of how the majority feels. I have a feeling most people on here are pro qt but I would not be all that surprised if I were wrong.

machtuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT system, but only buy QT'd/conditioned fish from my LFS and the reputable online QT vendors. By the time I stock the tank full, I will have come in cheaper than running and maintaining a QT system. If you do the math, spending the extra money on QT'd livestock comes in at about $3-$6 per day for vendor QT. Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not for systematic medicated QT. I’m for observation QT, where you give fish the best possible conditions with as little stress as possible, and only intervene if necessary. And feed well.

I’m also not doing that myself, I want my LFS to do it. I pay almost double the price to buy such fish.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point hopefully enough people respond to give a little slice of the hobby.
Just like everything these days, need a definition of what quarantine is. Then we can better discuss the topic.

Does QT automatically mean medication?
Is it just observation?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That's a good point hopefully enough people respond to give a little slice of the hobby. Even with 100 respondents it would give a decent picture of how the majority feels. I have a feeling most people on here are pro qt but I would not be all that surprised if I were wrong.
After thinking about my answer, I thought it seemed harsh. So I edited it, and hope you get a good showing in the poll, in this important debate.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like everything these days, need a definition of what quarantine is. Then we can better discuss the topic.

Does QT automatically mean medication?
Is it just observation?
I was thinking medicated QT when I posted this but for the sake of the poll observational qt counts, its still putting the fish in a system much different from a display so I would say any QT. So any separation of livestock to treat or observe.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back