For or against QT

• Total voters

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking about fish specifically or corals and inverts too. I haven't always but now I do quarantine all fish that go into my tank. For corals and inverts I would like to quarantine, but I don't.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never felt the need to do it. If you do then you should. The element of keepers skill and experience never enters into these discussions.
If you asked me is it necessary for me to be successful I would say no.
I am not against it though. You should do what you think you need to do.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internet says qt everyone reads qt, so says qt it depends on how you do your thing I've never qt anything yet ever, but also I stock fish first and only add top quality fish to my systems that are established, but to each his own.

It can't be a bad idea to QT! I always have a low amount of fish in my systems, im all about the corals!

Attachments

• 20211121_180657.jpg
    20211121_180657.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 38

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantined all fish in my 220G per humblefish methods. I have not lost a single fish that made it into the display.

I successfully treated a swallowtail angel that had velvet. She is happily in my display today. Also treated several fish with intestinal worms, several bacterial infections, etc.

Here’s when the velvet started…
9D131EEC-0843-417F-B39C-3C8875CC2147.jpeg

And here she is fully cured, after many H2O2 dips and tank transfers…
9BB4B9EA-4370-4726-9460-F9D7545197AF.jpeg

So obviously I am FOR quarantine, because if this fish went into my display I would have lost it all.

The worst part is having to quarantine inverts and coral, but it’s worth it.

Quarantine is a lot of work and expense though. It’s gut wrenching when things go wrong. I’m glad I did it.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's no fun to get a new fish, and ad it to your tank of beautiful fish, and then BAM....New fish has ich! Then they all die!! And you have to start all over, but before you do that, you to wait to let all those nasty little boogers in your tank (parasites) die! It's heartbreaking, not to mention, very expensive!

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a new reefer.

Going full quarantine in the system I am building. Medication for fish and 76 days fishless for corals and inverts.

I like how it slows down the pacing if new additions to my main system. Gives me time to see how parameters change and monitor nutrient consumption.

Hopefully, QT keeps things slow enough that I can learn system balance with small changes and avoid some big swings and potential over reactions.

Also, by running QT from the start, I get to learn with hardy fish and corals, so hopefully I have the experiences necessary for reasonable success as I buy more expensive livestock.

That said, I am a bit concerned that it limits some biodiversity. I am also concerned that a mistake can undo the hard work of QT.

I've made my choice though and QT from the start it is. Always easy to do less in the future if I want to change, but it seems QT is the current highest path to success in a new system.

I also think that with more aquaculture fish coming into the hobby that people with healthy wild systems might struggle in the short term with captive bred fish. But in 20 years if captive breeding continues to grow, QT may become less necessary.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hard way on my old display tank from 15 years ago. I did quarantine back then but one time I got worried that an expensive wrasse I purchased on a group buy would do better in the DT vs quarantine. So I broke my quarantine protocol short after a week and ended up infecting my Display tank. A lot of people from that group buy ended up losing most of their fish to Ich. I actually found the old thread the other day and read through it. I was the first to spot Ich on my fish and then everyone else started their battle as well. It's an interesting read:

I now use Jay's quarantine protocol and have successfully ran 4 fish through quarantine on my new setup.

Jacaine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After losing over 2K in live stock between 2 different tanks. 1 was hit with ick, the other velvet. I have set up more of a observation tank. I don't treat meds unless I see something.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, I advocate for a full, proper quarantine! For me, it is more about protecting existing inhabitants from new disease. Do I lose fish during quarantine? Yes, but unless I make a mistake, I don't lose fish BECAUSE of quarantine, there is a huge difference.

Most of you know, but we keep our current basic quarantine on the first page of this thread:

Jay Hemdal

Back