For or against QT

• Total voters

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the new tanks forum where the best time to train to reduce disease preemptively is found, peers are opposite of this poll, and thats because they aren’t accountable for what they recommend.

regarding memes vs links, that’s what I thought ~

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s good you were inquiring about quarantine and feeding practices in your tank preps though, it’s more consideration than what I’m seeing a new tanker get as recommends now in the new tanks forum. You should follow through with that plan you have.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about my recommend is simply to not ignore massive data here + a poll stating quarantine and fallow produces the highest degree of fish retention? Quit detracting from that, you don’t have a fish yet in the battle and neither do I. Folks who recently complete a cycle need the updated training, clearly stated and not watered down by folks who appear to be against the method but then seem for it when you click their post history. We need clear recommends vs watered down arguments to make headway and reduce direct wasting.

what did you vote for in the poll, curious to know

wheres your vote 77AA50DA-4AE2-4668-9120-85E43C164A15.png

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t get any clear stances from what you’re saying Hudu, none at all.
You keep asking over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I have a very clear stance no QT.
for example I can’t find any links of systems you produced remotely using a particular fish disease method, can you link one please
Once again with the horse in a bloody pulp here is my method straight from my mouth and in link form. You didn't read last time you won't read it this time and in the future the odds of you reading it are pretty much none, but here it is for you to not read.
Can you post a link of a few reef tanks you set up for others so we can track them out a few months?
You can't even post that because you have literally never done it, even for yourself. Why do you keep posting go to the other forums and "help" the poor souls that are dumb enough to think that you can help them in any way.
rn in the new tanks forum all the peers are telling this guy not to qt or do any tank prep,
Well then that is dumb because even I would not suggest not prepping your tank for the new arrivals. So why you are saying this as always make me wonder what your point is and why you are even posting.

Because you can't do this here is my proof, these fish are still alive. In link form because you seem to have some sort fetish for that.

Why don't you post pics of your tank Brandon? Let's see even what you have. I am going to go out on a limb is you don't even have what you say you have.

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about my recommend is simply to not ignore massive data here + a poll stating quarantine and fallow produces the highest degree of fish retention? Quit detracting from that, you don’t have a fish yet in the battle and neither do I.

I get your plight.

what I don't agree with is removing enjoyment from a learning process. this thread has reached a non-educational, non-enjoyable learning continuance. shame on me for fueling your fire.

and please don't drag me into your "detracting" battle of 7+ years.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re posting in a poll thread you didn’t even vote in, that’s a productive use of time for sure. Riding the fence vs making a choice is helping move content here how? I didn’t drag you into anything lol you added some cool memes and video and I thought you had a clear stance, now I’m trying to discern it. At least the no voters made a clear decision.

if you are done with memes that’s cool, the last four posts wasnt needed for sure. You for sure wanted into the exchange for a minute there. cast a vote, make a choice.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First few tanks - never QT'd and eventually lost most fish. Always felt bad, but found ways to justify it. Until I realized how irresponsible this was.

Next few tanks - I started to QT and things did not get much better. I was setting up a QT the day before I would go buy fish, or even same day and it only provided an incredibly stressful situation for already stressed fish. It was a sterile, uncycled environment (I used a sponge from the display but that was never enough). Basically a death trap.
What time frame are we looking at for your setups? How long ago did you start your first tank? How long on average did you have the tanks up? What caused you to start a new tank? Did you take the previous tank down or did you just restart?
New tank - Finally I decided to set up a QT tank that is always running. It's a 40 breeder with rock, sand, HOB filter, powerhead, light, ect. All fish go here for observation. If they get sick, then I set up my hospital tank (not always running). If they spend two months in the QT and show no signs of anything, then into the main tank.
What is the state of your hospital tank? I know you said it wasn't running I am just curious how quickly you could get it up if you needed it?
Since doing this, I have still lost some fish to disease, but not a single fish from my display has died other than a 9 year old butterfly which died of 'old age'.
Did you lose the fish from disease in your observational QT or did you lose them in your medicated QT? How many fish have you lost since you started doing QT? How many fish have made it through the QT? How many fish do you have in your current DT? How long have they been there?

Sorry for all of the questions, it's just that your post left a lot of questions for me about your method.

Thank you very much in advance for filling in those gaps I appreciate it. :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it would be expected. I figured you‘d be a firm no. Playing cards close to chest eh :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some yes votes above from participants in our how to unstick cycles thread, in my opinion that’s a positive thing. We didn’t harm anyone’s initial reefing or intentions in mentioning this forum to them and when I did mention it they’d already researched and made qt tanks for themselves anyway. Merely a change of pace nice to see that’s all- the first thing we do after a cycle is make a clear choice on disease preps. Easy n simple.

it would be ideal if folks who don’t quarantine don’t try and sell others on the method, merely aim them here and let them read and discern patterns as they see fit.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it would be expected. I figured you‘d be a firm no. Playing cards close to chest eh :)
No, because I have an aquarium that I keep and maintain and have fish that rely on me to survive, I just don't think that it is that important to answer a poll that doesn't provide an accurate sample, because unlike you I understand statistics.

Brandon you are just noise. There are people on this thread that want to learn in fact one is telling you as such right now and you are in the way of them doing that. You are not helping you are harming. You are forcing your way on anyone that dares to have a contrary opinion. Go work your threads maybe those people won't tell you you are a waste of time.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
laughable assessment by a non participant who won’t make a clear stance, you follow my posts only to stir trouble but it doesn’t go far.

rn as we speak a new tank here in the forum we just finished cycling will need a new set of clownfish, plus preps this time, there is a pressing real need for change in the hobby and before I knew the poll could be unlocked for view I’d made a clear stance. In every case I try to make a clear, easily defined stance. I also never post after anything you write, wish I could get the same in return from you but you’ll never get past cycling disagreements from 2019, heck I don’t even recall what your stance was there either it’s wet toast anywhere inspected.

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m for it I guess, but I definitely don’t enjoy doing it. Like at all.

I think there should be more pressure on the wholesalers and distributors from hobbyists/stores etc to provide healthy fish. I never understood (other than greed) why so many things in this hobby rely on the end user to figure it out ourselves or pay the consequences

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian that fish in your avatar would need preps bigtime, did he turn out well after the qt run or was he bought pre qt

we should add a sticky here of all vendors who sell prepped fish, and prepped clean up crew members. now that would be positive helpful things quickly seen by new readers/ best practice searchers

somehow reef2reef should spotlight vendors who are trying to do better given today’s huge loss % in the hobby

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more mature your tank becomes the more able it is to handle parasite loads, so the theory goes.

For me the benefits of working with the fish in a more natural environment lowers stress and makes getting the fish to eat much much easier.

Have you needed to use it?

Can you expound on why you are not concerned about a low pathogen level? Aren't you shooting for zero?

Agreed it sucks when things die, I don't think anyone really likes that pain. :(
Sure, I think your 1st and 4th line go together - and I do not believe that my display is 100% free from Ich, but it has an extremely low turnover and the health of the fish, their "herd immunity", their comfort with the system and their stress level allows them to handle an occasional up tick in their cycle.

to your 2nd point, I like to get them to the display as gently as possible and the QT is a moderate light, complex shelter clean water, low competition for food environment - surely better than the holding facility where ever they came from and as good as or better than the LFS, and a good transition to their "forever home"

to your point 3, yes, once, with a velvet outbreak from a decidedly poor QT session, and it helped me save 5 of the 7 infected fish.

to point 5 - "so say we all"

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian that fish in your avatar would need preps bigtime, did he turn out well after the qt run or was he bought pre qt

we should add a sticky here of all vendors who sell prepped fish, and prepped clean up crew members. now that would be positive helpful things quickly seen by new readers/ best practice searchers

somehow reef2reef should spotlight vendors who are trying to do better given today’s huge loss % in the hobby
I typically only buy fish from TSM Aquatics or direct from Biota. Purchased numerous fish from TSM with never an issue. I have a shipment coming tomorrow actually from Biota, same never an issue.

Like I said, for me personally, I don’t have the time nor desire honestly to do a full work up on a new fish. Unless it’s completely necessary.

I have multiple QTs, all the copper, checkers, equipment and other medications but I’ll admit I’m bad at it and it’s a pain in my rear.

I’ll leave that to the professionals who do it for a living and take the risk off me

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for positive input I had not heard of biota and will put a link to them and Dr Reef’s fish into a busy cycling thread we use / got to meet him in person at aqua shella Dallas I think Dr Reef is doing good intention work in the matter as well. Tsm as well like you said. If we don’t get a sticky devoted to sources of this caliber I’ll just make them first read then where possible.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back