Q-tipping your hanna po4 checker.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little tip! After you mix your hanna po4 checker powder, set it for 3 mins as usual, then when it reads the result take the sample out, open it and clean the inside of the vial with a q-tip getting off all dust and microbubbles. Use the other vial to make the test again. Then put your sample in and have it read it instantly (dont do 3 mins this time). The results will be lower if your vial had bubbles or dust stuck to it.

My reults whent from .24ppm to .11ppm!

Pete_the_Puma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The million dollar question is: is your phosphate actually .24 or .11?

just making the tester give you a lower number is easily achievable 100 different ways, I would stick with the method as intended by Hanna.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The million dollar question is: is your phosphate actually .24 or .11?

just making the tester give you a lower number is easily achievable 100 different ways, I would stick with the method as intended by Hanna.
I thought the same however the color of blue seen by my eyes clearly wasnt .24ppm but much lower. Theres a big difference between a faint blue and darker blue. My reason for this was the color didn't match up to the number.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little tip! After you mix your hanna po4 checker powder, set it for 3 mins as usual, then when it reads the result take the sample out, open it and clean the inside of the vial with a q-tip getting off all dust and microbubbles. Use the other vial to make the test again. Then put your sample in and have it read it instantly (dont do 3 mins this time). The results will be lower if your vial had bubbles or dust stuck to it.

My reults whent from .24ppm to .11ppm!
Interesting! You would need to test a standard PO4 solution to really know if the Q-tip was a good idea.

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! You would need to test a standard PO4 solution to really know if the Q-tip was a good idea.
I agree. Do you have this ability?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back