Qt an ich question.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a fish in qt from the lfs. Been using gc, em an ichx with 50% WC every day and another plan for today. I know what ich is and looks like. This fish seems to be developing more white spots as time goes (4 days now in qt) on. so here's my question. In the cycle of ich, these whites spots pop. So is this increase in white spots a sign that the meds are working? Lfs told me today that these spots were wounds from the ichs life cycle and that it would be normal to see these increase as the meds work their magic. Once they go away(if they go away) I need to watch for new white spots. And if new ones return then the meds are not doing their job. Is this true? If so should I switch to copper for today's WC or wait?

Resized_20210623_125910.jpeg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots are from where the host attaches to the fish. This is why i use the TTM method for Ich and Velvet. As the hosts drop off into the water and attach to something they are removed before they can hatch out and attach to the fish. Over a 2 weeks span there are no more left on the fish or in the tank

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the moment i do not have room for another qt but i am pondering this So i can do the TTM going forward.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at the moment i do not have room for another qt but i am pondering this So i can do the TTM going forward.
You could temporarily use a 5g Home depot bucket or something similar in a pinch, just need a separate heater/air stone/etc

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a fish in qt from the lfs. Been using gc, em an ichx with 50% WC every day and another plan for today. I know what ich is and looks like. This fish seems to be developing more white spots as time goes (4 days now in qt) on. so here's my question. In the cycle of ich, these whites spots pop. So is this increase in white spots a sign that the meds are working? Lfs told me today that these spots were wounds from the ichs life cycle and that it would be normal to see these increase as the meds work their magic. Once they go away(if they go away) I need to watch for new white spots. And if new ones return then the meds are not doing their job. Is this true? If so should I switch to copper for today's WC or wait?

Resized_20210623_125910.jpeg
Ich-x isn’t a good treatment for marine ich. This looks like uncontrolled ich. Copper dosed with a good copper test would be the way to go. However, this is a severe case, and copper is going to take 3 days to work, meanwhile, the fish is going to get sicker - not a good scenario.
Jay

Back