Qt and corals in new tank

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm waiting for my new tank to arrive and in the meantime, I'm contemplating my order of operations. I'd like to eventually have a reef tank with some LPS corals, fish and clean up crew. I plan on quarantining everything, but I've heard you should quarantine corals for 72 days. If I start the display tank with corals and inverts only for 72 days, can I forgo the quarantine process for them? Or are there diseases of corals/inverts that could affect my DT?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm waiting for my new tank to arrive and in the meantime, I'm contemplating my order of operations. I'd like to eventually have a reef tank with some LPS corals, fish and clean up crew. I plan on quarantining everything, but I've heard you should quarantine corals for 72 days. If I start the display tank with corals and inverts only for 72 days, can I forgo the quarantine process for them? Or are there diseases of corals/inverts that could affect my DT?
If you start your dt with corals and inverts .
you’re planning on taking them out to qt ?
Sorry if I misread .

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're basically describing going fallow for the setup of your tank. Fishless for 72 days is sufficient for quarantine. My opinion, this is a decent strategy.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start your dt with corals and inverts .
you’re planning on taking them out to qt ?
Sorry if I misread .
Sorry for the confusion. I'm thinking of starting the tank with corals and inverts to avoid having to QT them in a separate tank. I won't add fish for 72 days so that any pests/disease that requires a fish host will die. Would this be ok or do corals have coral diseases that would infect your DT?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the confusion. I'm thinking of starting the tank with corals and inverts to avoid having to QT them in a separate tank. I won't add fish for 72 days so that any pests/disease that requires a fish host will die. Would this be ok or do corals have coral diseases that would infect your DT?
With corals .
hitch hikers are what you want to look for and worry about .
Some things such as brittle stars , bristle worms, pods are ok .
the odd acro might have a acro crab but there are far worse ..

Red flatworms which I managed to get from one of 2 places which both deny having them .

you don’t want gorilla crabs , bobbit worms , mantis shrimps , and I’m sure for a quick hitch hiker search on here you can find many things not wanted .

having a sump to move some things to while waiting for a positive identification could be very helpful

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record ..
when I first got into reefing , qt wasn’t a huge issue .
selection wasn’t as plentiful either . The only time I’ve setup a qt was for medicating sick fish .

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With corals .
hitch hikers are what you want to look for and worry about .
Some things such as brittle stars , bristle worms, pods are ok .
the odd acro might have a acro crab but there are far worse ..

Red flatworms which I managed to get from one of 2 places which both deny having them .

you don’t want gorilla crabs , bobbit worms , mantis shrimps , and I’m sure for a quick hitch hiker search on here you can find many things not wanted .

having a sump to move some things to while waiting for a positive identification could be very helpful
Thanks! It sounds like I just have to worry about parasites with corals. If you put a coral in your sump, couldn't the pests travel to the dt?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back