Qt and hospital question

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish i am back for more!

Since it seems, if you recall, I allowed a sailfin tang to bring ick into my world here.

I currently have that tang, 2 clowns small, a bi color blenny. And a blue damsel.

I have not worked out how to catch them yet but my plan is to add a cleaner wrasse, a yellow eye kole tang, then lastly a chevron tang (i want a yellow tang but was advised against it with only a 90gal tank) this will end my fish stocking.

So while i have my fish in hospital my plan is to treat for two weeks with CP, then maybe on week three aquire the new fish and add them to the qt for the final few weeks of fallow of the main tank and treat with cp as well to be certain.

I have a 10gallon and a 35gallon hex for options. I plan to cycle them to make anonia easier, as i can manage ick for a month while it cycles. Then transfer fish.

What are youre recomendations on my plan of attack as well as what fish in which tank together is your opinion
Sorry for the super long post btw

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus on treating your existing fish first, and QT new additions later. You have to remember CP doesn't treat everything: flukes, intestinal worms, turbellarians and bacterial infections would all require a different treatment if those popped up. So you might clear your existing fish of ich, but then infect them with some other disease from one of the new additions. :eek:

I would advise against adding a Chevron Tang to just a 90 gal, as they should be kept in an aquarium twice that size. They can get aggressive as they mature, so housing one in an undersized tank will just make things worse. I would also ditch the damsel while you can. ;)

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus on treating your existing fish first, and QT new additions later. You have to remember CP doesn't treat everything: flukes, intestinal worms, turbellarians and bacterial infections would all require a different treatment if those popped up. So you might clear your existing fish of ich, but then infect them with some other disease from one of the new additions. :eek:

I would advise against adding a Chevron Tang to just a 90 gal, as they should be kept in an aquarium twice that size. They can get aggressive as they mature, so housing one in an undersized tank will just make things worse. I would also ditch the damsel while you can. ;)
Youre a hundred percent right, actually. Ive seen so many in nanos, i guess untill they grow? And assumed they stay small. Little research goes a long way

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre a hundred percent right, actually. Ive seen so many in nanos, i guess untill they grow? And assumed they stay small. Little research goes a long way

I'm gonna be honest with you about a Chevron, even though I might get blasted for saying this. :p The juveniles are absolutely stunning. But in a couple of years it will morph into this ugly, mean SOB you won't even be able to give away.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna be honest with you about a Chevron, even though I might get blasted for saying this. :p The juveniles are absolutely stunning. But in a couple of years it will morph into this ugly, mean SOB you won't even be able to give away.
The amazing thing is the price you pay for an ugly sob lol. Inwould have researched prior, but thanks for the intell!

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A very unfortunate day. My ich managment didnt go well. Clowns appear to have spots and tang was found this afternoon dead. The only positive here is i can set up my 10gal qt right now and not need the 30. Any tips on catching a blue damsel and bi color blenny? Lol. Clowns should be easy. I will be treating with CP so i need to read up a bit. My lfs is supplying me with some tomorrow

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish he sent of a pic of his supply. Familiar with it?

received_10208239795325632.jpeg

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ive been through 4 vets thus far none knowlegable enough to perscribe the CP. I guess copper it is. Are there any concerns with the clowns I have treating with copper?

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on quick cure. Thelfs recommended it because it is less evasive then copper

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on quick cure. Thelfs recommended it because it is less evasive then copper

Quick Cure contains formalin, which treats external worms, brook, and provides temporary relief for velvet. But it won't completely eradicate ich IME.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i have a 10gal tank and 2 five gal buckets. I will try the tank transfer method, 4 small fish with a bubbler this shoup work.

I will use the buckets for transfer and the 10gal will be the final holding tank with some rock and sand. This will be their final resting place until dt is done fallowing. Can i use the quick cure during the process to help anything? Or just store it away

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, you'll also need two heaters and do not share any equipment between the transfer buckets. More info on TTM here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-transfer-method.192655/

DO NOT use formalin during this process, as that will just rob O2 from the water. But do have a bottle of Prime handy in case the ammonia spikes before the 72 hrs are up.

P.S. Final resting place are three words you never want to use when talking about QT. ;)

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Are the heaters neccessary? I keep the hous at 76 degrees and live in florida where its hot riggt now?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Are the heaters neccessary? I keep the hous at 76 degrees and live in florida where its hot riggt now?

If you can keep the temp in the buckets at least 74-75, then no. You also need to keep the temp stable, no wide fluctuations.

That can be hard to do with cold AC blasting on it from the ducts. Maybe try a warmer room with no cold air blowing directly on it.

OP
OP
BoneXriffic

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a great spot for em and my house stays that temp 24 7... just need to get a bubbler

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back