QT battle continued

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, for background please go here.
After all that’s happened in the link, I’ve been slowly ramping up CP and am getting close to treatment strength at 1.25. It’s been 2 days since the FW dip and the Heni has popeye pretty bad in one eye. I treated last night with epson salt and 24 hours later there is no improvement. I’ve taken all the pvc pieces out and haven’t noticed any flashing, but I’m kind of at an impass with this eye. After the first dip pre-prazi treatment, the swelling went right down. This time not so much. It’s eating fine, but the eye looks horrible. I have erithromycin on standby, but I hate to mix meds. Should I dose epson salt again, wait it out another day, or treat with the antibiotics? I think it’s a bit early for another FW dip.
835CDEA2-BC1B-4E56-9FBE-CF6039BE6D38.jpeg

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All, for background please go here.
After all that’s happened in the link, I’ve been slowly ramping up CP and am getting close to treatment strength at 1.25. It’s been 2 days since the FW dip and the Heni has popeye pretty bad in one eye. I treated last night with epson salt and 24 hours later there is no improvement. I’ve taken all the pvc pieces out and haven’t noticed any flashing, but I’m kind of at an impass with this eye. After the first dip pre-prazi treatment, the swelling went right down. This time not so much. It’s eating fine, but the eye looks horrible. I have erithromycin on standby, but I hate to mix meds. Should I dose epson salt again, wait it out another day, or treat with the antibiotics? I think it’s a bit early for another FW dip.
835CDEA2-BC1B-4E56-9FBE-CF6039BE6D38.jpeg

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A thought, but what about supersaturation? Since my prazi incident, I’ve been running a HOB filter, a bubble filter and an airstone. Perhaps too much O2?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find a great read here:

I know it sounds terrifying but if you really want to help this guy you might want to check it out. Sorry nobody on here has come to the rescue for your poor fish. @Big G is a GREAT resource but he can only help so many people and it seems he doesnt have much help nowadays on here. Hope this helps...

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, will check it out!
What I did tonight was pull the airstone and did another round of epson salt. If there is no improvement tomorrow, I’ll start the antibiotic.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The positive test for flukes is telling. There are 3 major types of flukes. One in particular likes to attack the eyes. It is a pretty large size as flukes go, and the freshwater dip, while showing positive for "flukes" usually works on the smaller flukes found on the skin. The possibility is that the larger flukes are what may be the actor causing the eye infection were seeing now. To kill the potential larger eye flukes, a bath in a formalin product should take care of it (info below).

Then for the infection use the erythromycin aka Maracyn, you have on hand. Can add Maracyn 2 for a wider spectrum coverage. But using both Maracyn and Maracyn 2 can be very harsh on a QT's water quality. Cloudy water conditions are common and require lots of added O2: powerhead aimed up at the surface and air stones. Be ready to make water changes if needed. Keep a very close eye on water conditions with these two meds.

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G I think the Popeye is due to all of the flashing it was doing prior to the FW dip. I’ve started the erithromycin today and added an airstone for extra aeration since I have CP on board. If it doesn’t help, I’ll get some formalin and try that dip. Since i can’t do prazzi until I clear the copper, I am thinking of doing a FW dip every 5 or so days until I can clear the copper and start the prazzi. Sound plan? Thank you!

OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eye looks a little better, but now I can see a couple of air bubbles in the eye. Eating fine and acting normal.
I pulled the airstone are perhaps I am over oxygenating the water? Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quarryshark

Quarryshark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I did pick up a powerhead. However once assembled the guard is too big and the little watchman goby I have in there could easily swim into the blade. Going to try and find a more appropriate one.

Back