Qt copper levels for wrasse?

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the consensus on copper power levels for fairy/flasher wrasse? I have 3 in a 40 breeder and was watching a humble fish interview where another guy with him said he goes to 1.75 for 30 days.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never QT'd a wrasse.
But the research I have done on the matter says Wrasses and Copper is a no go.

I would recommend a minimum of a two week observation period before attempting any treatment.
If I see signs of something that copper is required to treat then and only then would I treat copper.

I would also bring it up so slowly it would take me a week to get to therapeutic levels.

I do not know that I would even do that. I would probably do freshwater dips and the Tank Transfer Method.

YMMV.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing with wrasse and copper is to bright them up to therapeutic very slowly...like over a week.

Hybrid peroxide TTM is another alternative.

Or acclimate a black molly to saltwater and QT with the wrasse for 30 days to see if the molly shows signs.

Wrasse are disease resistant which just means they may never show signs but can be a carrier and bring it in to other more sensitive fish.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the consensus on copper power levels for fairy/flasher wrasse? I have 3 in a 40 breeder and was watching a humble fish interview where another guy with him said he goes to 1.75 for 30 days.
I was able to use copper power at therapeutic level of 1.75 (verified by hanna checker) on my potter wrasses, lineatus wrasse, yellow wrasse and melanarus wrasse. This was about 1 1/2 year ago. I think the new therapeutic level is 2.0. I am currently using copper power on my pintail wrasse. I usually ramp up to therapeutic level in about 7-10 days. After 2 wks at 2.0 copper power i move them to brand new QT and observe for another 2 weeks. If everything is good then off to the DT.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of intentionally putting things in harms way such as the Mollies.

This a preventative treatment to make sure you do not have parasites as I understand.

A proper observation period is all that's needed IMO.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did two wrasses at 2.5ppm for 30 days as well as metro, GC, and food with GC. Went fine. Just had to take your time ramping up.

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have done 3 leopard wrasses, a pintail wrasse, cleaner wrasse, potters angel recently @2.25-2.3 recently with copper power and no issues. Slow ramp up and check with Hanna

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back