QT Cycling Question

TJAVOREK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to start the cycling on my tank and wanted to possibly save time by also getting my first fish in QT. Does anyone have any experience using Dr Tims One and Only to instantly set up a QT for fish, the directions say you can add fish in under 24hrs? I obviously don't want to lose my first set of fish which would be two clowns.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use biospira imo its the best bacteria in a bottle. Dr tims is expensive and took a lot longer for me.

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My take is QT cycle is not as crucial as you can monitor the ammonia and depend on large water change as the means to reduce the ammonia. Most bottle live bacteria should work. Most likely you'll only have foam filtration as the only means of biological filter. So, keep an eye on ammonia and change water as needed.

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not able to instant cycle the tank with media from your sump or something like that?

never mind, from reading the context it sounds like both tanks are gonna be rather new

OP
OP
TJAVOREK

TJAVOREK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you not able to instant cycle the tank with media from your sump or something like that?

never mind, from reading the context it sounds like both tanks are gonna be rather new

Yeah haven’t started the cycle on my display tank, I have a 20gal for QT and essentially wanted to do them at the same time with the clowns in QT so when the display is ready the clowns can go right in.

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all I can say is to have saltwater for water changes on standby since your cycling your ammonia get rough pretty fast. The only way to manage it is to do waterchanges so just make sure to have some made

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont keep a QT running continually, so I use a sponge filter 'marinated' in Microbacter 7 and it works well (use a Seachem Ammonia Alert and wc 20%/day, but its only a 10g QT and I have a large water reservoir)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back