QT ? Do you treat prophylactically or "wait and see"?

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 5 g QT finished it's cycle nicely and was pronounced "fish worthy" by my lfs - whom I trust - so 2 ocellarus (was told they were captive-bred) went in this PM, after appropriate intro treatment - 30 minute bag float followed by a 60 minute tank water drip. They were eating at the store and are acting like they're ready to eat, but I'm gonna wait til tomorrow feed 'em. My question is: do you treat anticipating they brought something along, or, wait to see if anything develops. I don't want to stress them too much and lets face it: treatment is stressful..... for everyone. So..... gimme some opinions. ;)

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This depends to me on where I buy the fish. If it is a known source that has has issues with disease in the past, I treat. If it comes from a source I know takes care of their fish and are generally healthy I take the wait and see approach.

Always ALL go through the QT process though.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat. Many fish, especially wrasse, can be carriers but not succumb or show symptoms. It's tough though because wrasse struggle with medications. I might opt for ttm although I've put many wrasse through cupramine without issue - halichoeres wrasse though seem to struggle.

I havent tried any fairy or flashers though.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prophylactically treat for ich & flukes - two diseases which do not always show obvious symptoms. But I see nothing wrong with just passive observation as well. It will, at the very least, protect you from "tank killer" diseases such as velvet & brook.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prophylactically treat for ich & flukes - two diseases which do not always show obvious symptoms. But I see nothing wrong with just passive observation as well. It will, at the very least, protect you from "tank killer" diseases such as velvet & brook.
I agree, provided you watch them for at least two months or so.

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just now setting up my QT, I should be filling it up this afternoon. I plan on treating prophylactically because in a 10g tank it really doesnt cost all that much to go ahead and treat it. The bottles I purchased should last me a good while, my current 40B will most likely be fully stocked with fish before I run out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back