QT for a tang?

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so we know Tangs need swimming room. Some people say at least 100 gallons or more. Otherwise the tang will be stressed, their immunity is lowered rendering them more susceptible to disease.

How does one properly QT a tang? 100 gallon QT tank(s)? QT too small, are we deliberately stressing our tangs?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so we know Tangs need swimming room. Some people say at least 100 gallons or more. Otherwise the tang will be stressed, their immunity is lowered rendering them more susceptible to disease.

How does one properly QT a tang? 100 gallon QT tank(s)? QT too small, are we deliberately stressing our tangs?
Great question .
I was always lead to believe quarantine is required but adding stress is not wanted .
How do you take a tang from the lfs in a bag add a little more stress of adding it to a qt tank , and move it again to the dt adding even more stress

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT setup is 20 gallons. I've used the standard protocol for a sailfin and a powder blue and a convict. First two were 4 inches when i got them. Only 1 fish at a time in QT. All passed in flying colors and are doing well in my 125 display tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It wholly depends on the size of the tang. Quarantine lasts 45 to 60 days, the “large tank” requirement is for long term welfare. These fish are routinely housed in small cubicles for weeks in the supply chain.
Environmental stress is less of a contributing factor to parasitic diseases as it is for viruses. If you get run down, you’re more likely to develop a cold, but eat a tapeworm segment and you’ll get a parasite even if your stress is low.
I generally try to house fish in quarantine tanks that are at least five times their body length by two times wide.
Jay

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can QT them in smaller tanks.

Or you can buy one fully QT'd from several vendors like Dr. Reef or similar.

I got a fully QT'd tang from Dr. Reef and plopped it right into my display tank without issue.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 10g and 20g QT setups. My naso was in a 10g QT for about 5 months and had zero issues with the smaller area. He is about 6 to 7 inches. I've had a hippo tang who was smaller not do well in a 10g QT and needed more space. Overall long term the tangs need more swimming room. But short term it is fine with monitoring ime.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back