qt for frags

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my tank is in fallow and I know I will buy more frags in the future, do sps do ok in a nano frag tank. I live in an apartment with a 2 tanks and a qt and now getting a frag qt so I had to go small and ordred a pico 4.3 G oceanbox frag tank that I could find room for in my bathroom. TIA, Rich

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, do corals not do well if you put coral rx in your frag tank to keep killing any pests?

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 11 gallon all in one shallow frag tank for coral qt. I ran kalkwasser coupled with ATO for a month or so but couldn't figure out how much I need to dose it. I switched to GHL doser 2.1 with 3 heads. One head is for ATO, another two are for auto water change. I set it to change 4 gallon of water in 7 days span. Weekly water test and PO4 is fixed at 0.03 ppm, NO3 at 1 ppm, dKH at 8 and calcium at 1300 ppm. I have been running this setup for 3 months now, coralline algae is growing on the frag rack now and I have some acro which have good polyp extension. I use one Kessil A160 with controller on this frag tank, and yes there are shadowing on some acro stick.

I did coral dip (Bayer + Revive) before I introduced them to frag tank.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question, do corals not do well if you put coral rx in your frag tank to keep killing any pests?

You'll probably kill your corals if you dose coral rx directly and constantly in to your frag tank. I generally pull my frags out, dip, wash and return to frag tank.

Most frags of anything do well in a cycle'd frag tank. If your tank isn't cycled, the stuff you kill with Coral RX will cause you to have an ammonia spike and from there you'll get a domino effect.

I like to use the 2.5 gallon tanks from petsmart. Easy to do water changes on.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably kill your corals if you dose coral rx directly and constantly in to your frag tank. I generally pull my frags out, dip, wash and return to frag tank.

+1 Most corals can only tolerate brief exposure to dips/baths (10 minutes).

OP
OP
rich nyc

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. i decided if I dont want to kill any more fish from disease I need to take all the precaution. Would probably only be able to buy corals several times a year this way unfortunately.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back