QT For Pico Tank

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm cycling a 5gal pico tank for my office and 90gal main tank. I'm only going to put a pair of very small clowns in the pico, the rest of the tnak will consist of LPS (maybe) and softies. Do I need to QT these 2 fish since they'll be the only fish in the tank and seem healthy?

I just finished setting up my 90gal main tank and yesterday setup my 28gal nano cube QT tank. I've got 3 pairs of clowns, a tomini tang, and yelow coris wrasse. All are very small but eating everything I'm throwing at them and active. I'm trying to QT in batches with fish that will all play nice and QT the most docile first. The store I purchased the pico tank fish from said they treat the fish with copper until they start eating, which could be for only a day or 2. The rest of the fish were purchased from a different LFS that runs copper in their tanks full time. The full time copper store was much cleaner and a lot less dingy.

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I'm cycling a 5gal pico tank for my office and 90gal main tank. I'm only going to put a pair of very small clowns in the pico, the rest of the tnak will consist of LPS (maybe) and softies. Do I need to QT these 2 fish since they'll be the only fish in the tank and seem healthy?

I just finished setting up my 90gal main tank and yesterday setup my 28gal nano cube QT tank. I've got 3 pairs of clowns, a tomini tang, and yelow coris wrasse. All are very small but eating everything I'm throwing at them and active. I'm trying to QT in batches with fish that will all play nice and QT the most docile first. The store I purchased the pico tank fish from said they treat the fish with copper until they start eating, which could be for only a day or 2. The rest of the fish were purchased from a different LFS that runs copper in their tanks full time. The full time copper store was much cleaner and a lot less dingy.

Thanks!
Perhaps not. Clowns are more susceptible to brooklynella and bacteria than any ich, etc
I would recommend at minimum 90 minute ruby rally bath and even ruby in with them to alleviate any chances of brook

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys this is my first time doing QT. I'm following the procedure on R2R but I can pull the 2 pico inhabitants out at any time. I did my first dose of copper power tonight and I'm at 1.15ppm. I'll do my 2nd dose tomorrow and bring it up to 2.5ppm.

What should I look for with the cycle being completed on the pico? I have an amonia alert badge but it hasn't moved out of the safe range. I've added 100ml of Bio-Spira and have not done any ghost feedings.

Thanks again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

My office tank has one Darwin clown that I did not quarantine. The risk in that case was just that one fish. It's been fine for two years. Starting with two fish - the risk will be just those two fish. Quarantine for larger tanks is more important, where there is risk to the existing population of fish.

Jay

p.s. - you may start to see some fighting with the 3 pairs of clowns as they mature.

OP
OP
Eye H8 Empty V

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My office tank has one Darwin clown that I did not quarantine. The risk in that case was just that one fish. It's been fine for two years. Starting with two fish - the risk will be just those two fish. Quarantine for larger tanks is more important, where there is risk to the existing population of fish.

Jay

p.s. - you may start to see some fighting with the 3 pairs of clowns as they mature.
Copy that thanks! One clown that I introduced yesterday came from a store tank where all of them were nipping at each other. He/she started off a little aggressive but seems to have mellowed out. I’ll be taking the Pico tank pair out soon.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back