QT for Snails before putting in the DT.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. so after 40 years of this . I never QT snails. I have QT fish and SPS. Fish are QT for 75 days about. I tend to say 35 days but never get around to putting in the DT until like 75. I use several tanks for QT. 30 gallon for SPS and 55 gallon for fish. i have also a 20 galllon.

Anyways.. here is the question.. i have a 20 gallon tank that I am using as a QT . no fish live rock only. no fish nothing in it for months. I put in a bunch of snails that i just got. How long do we think need to QT snails. I assume that they came from water that had fish in it. strong concerns on ick.

thanks

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd scrub them like crazy and throw them in my DT. I dont QT but I'd think just as long as you QT anything else for. Years ago I swear I got ich from some snails and hermits I bought so I get it. I guess to be overly cautious you can go by the fallow tank rule of 76 days. Just be sure they have something to eat in there

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with HotRocks, but my main concern would be pyramid snails hitching a ride in on the other snails. Especially, if you have clams.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan is to keep them in the QT for 80 days. feed some of the hair algea from my DT turf scrubber. I must say.. they cleaned up the 20 gallon tank over night.. pretty amazing. No clams in the DT yet.. just lots of fish. Have given the tank a year to recycle. Old story but tank with sps crashed. so did major overhaul..

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am feeding some of my algea from my algea turf scrubber from my main tank. I did not see them go after the nori sheets. then again.. they are still eating the detritus from the bottom of this bare bottom 20 gallon.. the 20 gallon was orginally set up 6 months ago to hold some live rock . again,.. they cleaned up so nice its looking like a really Display tank almost.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battling marine velvet and going fallow for the 3rd time now, I don’t blame you one bit for being extra cautious with your DT. As ‘boring’ or even ‘paranoid’ as it sounds, I don’t plan to add a snail, crab, or anything to my DT without a 76-day quarantine.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we have a 20
Gallon tank. Some
Live rock. Only no fish. How many asttra snails can i put in to this qt tank. So really what I am asking is. Do snails crest large bio loads ?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back