QT help! Please

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress coat is essentially the same as prime. It's going to make the copper toxic. I wouldn't risk it at all, especially after going through all this to get the fish better. Oh, make sure you get a test kit for the copper so you can make sure it's at therapeutic levels.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress coat is essentially the same as prime. It's going to make the copper toxic. I wouldn't risk it at all, especially after going through all this to get the fish better. Oh, make sure you get a test kit for the copper so you can make sure it's at therapeutic levels.

+1 to the above.

What brand of copper will you be using? If Cupramine, get a Salifert or Seachem copper test kit. But if you are going to use chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) then you need to use the API copper test kit.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above.

What brand of copper will you be using? If Cupramine, get a Salifert or Seachem copper test kit. But if you are going to use chelated copper (exs. Coppersafe, Copper Power) then you need to use the API copper test kit.

Which one is better or are both pretty much the same?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one is better or are both pretty much the same?

They both work the same. Cupramine is "ionic" copper, and conventional wisdom says it is safer/gentler to use on the fish as it works at lower concentrations. But then I read about all these people saying their fish won't eat/dies in Cupramine. However, I've personally used it in the past and had no such problems.

Chelated copper is old school, so that's what I have the most experience using (specifically Coppersafe.) It has always worked well for me in the past. I used to do aquarium maintenance and we would treat thousands of $$$s worth of fish at a time using it, no problems. I never understood the need to upgrade to something better. If it works, don't try to fix it is my motto.
;)

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both work the same. Cupramine is "ionic" copper, and conventional wisdom says it is safer/gentler to use on the fish as it works at lower concentrations. But then I read about all these people saying their fish won't eat/dies in Cupramine. However, I've personally used it in the past and had no such problems.

Chelated copper is old school, so that's what I have the most experience using (specifically Coppersafe.) It has always worked well for me in the past. I used to do aquarium maintenance and we would treat thousands of $$$s worth of fish at a time using it, no problems. I never understood the need to upgrade to something better. If it works, don't try to fix it is my motto.
;)

Haha i agree on you with tht lol if it aint broke... Dnt fix it!!!! Ok so i will see if i can get coppersafe and see what happens. Thank you.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just tested my qt but havent put any fish in there yet and my ammonia is 0.50 ppm, is that normal and can i still put my fish in there?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just tested my qt but havent put any fish in there yet and my ammonia is 0.50 ppm, is that normal and can i still put my fish in there?

Is copper already in the water? The presence of copper will give you false positives using most ammonia test kits. You have to use a Seachem ammonia alert badge.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is copper already in the water? The presence of copper will give you false positives using most ammonia test kits. You have to use a Seachem ammonia alert badge.

No copper in the water yet. Yes i ordered the ammonia badge online since i cant use the kit. But can i add the fish yet or do i wait?

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And does that mean i cant use the kit at all to test anything since im using copper or will just the ammonia be off using the kit?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dilute the ammonia, preferably getting it to 0 to start with before putting them in the QT. I wonder how it got ammonia in it already? It was freshly set up right? With nothing else in there except a heater, filter, power head and pvc hiding places? Brand new made saltwater right?

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dilute the ammonia, preferably getting it to 0 to start with before putting them in the QT. I wonder how it got ammonia in it already? It was freshly set up right? With nothing else in there except a heater, filter, power head and pvc hiding places? Brand new made saltwater right?

Yes everything was fresh except the pads i had put in the HOB filter. That was used when i previously quarantined my last fish so i figured it was ok to use. Should i remove it and put new pads in the hob filter?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any fish so long as ammonia is present. You can use an ammonia test kit until you add copper. After that, you have to rely solely on the alert badge.

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add any fish so long as ammonia is present. You can use an ammonia test kit until you add copper. After that, you have to rely solely on the alert badge.

Ok i screwed up by using older pads in the hob filter :/. Do i have to throw all that water away again? Or do i have other options I just made this so much harder for myself.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be ok. Just take this step by step. Make new water (i know it sucks) do a big water change and then retest after a few minutes. Then go from there.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be ok. Just take this step by step. Make new water (i know it sucks) do a big water change and then retest after a few minutes. Then go from there.

^^This. And throw out the old pads causing the ammonia.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1KORDON ICH ATTACK IN MAIN TANK (100% NATURAL IN GREEN&WHITE BOTTLE)
2DO A COLD WATER FRESHWATER DIP 60 DEGREES 3TO 5 MINS ON EACH FISH.
3 MARDEL( COPPERSAFE ) IN SPARE TANK & HAVE PRAZIPRO ON HAND.
4 LOWER THERE STREE BY MEDIUM FLOW & HIDING PLACES.
5WATCH TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE EATING ENTICE THEM BY ADDING GARLIC
TO THERE FOOD. HOPE THIS HELPS

I'm not sure if anyone touched on this, but some of the advice you are giving is flat out awful.
1. Ich Attack does NOTHING to help with ICH. It's the proverbial "snake oil".
2. A cold water freshwater dip? You will instantly kill any fish you put in there. You can't take a fish out of a 74+ degree water and put them, not only in freezing cold water, but a freshwater dip? NO.

Merck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. DON'T LIKE SNAKES,BUT THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW IT'S WORKS ON THEM TO.
2. (YOUTUBE) COLD FRESHWATER DIP ON MARINE FISH. YES THE FISH DON'T LIKE IT & THE ICK DON'T LIKE IT EITHER.
2. A cold water freshwater dip? You will instantly kill any fish you put in there. You can't take a fish out of a 74+ degree water and put them
SO WHEN SALTWATER FISH SWIM UP RIVERS AT HIGHTIDE TO COLDER WATER IN A STREAM THEY DIE OR WHEN YOU ARE IN THE OCEAN AND A COLD CURRENT COMES THREW THEY DIE,
THAT EXPLAINS ALL THE DEAD FISH IN THE GULF OF MEXICO.

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. DON'T LIKE SNAKES,BUT THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW IT'S WORKS ON THEM TO.
2. (YOUTUBE) COLD FRESHWATER DIP ON MARINE FISH. YES THE FISH DON'T LIKE IT & THE ICK DON'T LIKE IT EITHER.

SO WHEN SALTWATER FISH SWIM UP RIVERS AT HIGHTIDE TO COLDER WATER IN A STREAM THEY DIE OR WHEN YOU ARE IN THE OCEAN AND A COLD CURRENT COMES THREW THEY DIE,
THAT EXPLAINS ALL THE DEAD FISH IN THE GULF OF MEXICO.

Tell me what reef fish swim into freshwater?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back