QT/Hospital Plan Feedback Wanted

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like opinions on this QT/hospital plan:

The tank currently has a blue eye tang and a lawn mower blenny. The tang appears to have ich, had white spots on fin, which have disappeared, so we are going to QT and treat for ich.
Also, since we are setting up QT, we decided it would be a good time to add the next fish, a blue head fairy wrasse and Vanderbilt Chromis
When the new fish arrive, everything will go into copper (Copper Power) at 1.0ppm, and copper will be raised to 2.5 ppm over 6 days (0.25 ppm/day) and be held there for 14.
We are also planning on dosing with Metroplex (for the chromis), starting at 500 mg/40 gallons every 48 hours and ramping to 500 mg/20 gallons on 3rd dose, and maintain for 10-14 days.
Also planning on soaking food in API General Cure for the chromis and wrasse (and the tang and blenny if they eat something other than nori)

After 14 days of treatment, all the fish will go to another tank for observation, and the remainder of the QT period.

Once the fish leave the DT, the temperature will be ramped up to 81F, and the fish will be kept out for 6 weeks.

Once all treatment is completed (copper, metroplex, and 6 week fallow period), all the fish will go back into DT.

Let me know if you think anything should be changed, thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like good plan
Im more of a fan of TTM for ich and velvet than copper.

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.
I think "TTM" could use a definitive write up, according to humble.fish this is the "two tank method" for copper, but I have also seen descriptions that involve multiple tank switches with no medication, more than two tanks unless you break them down and sterilize between every switch. I'd rather not use copper, but I also want something that's effective.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback.
I think "TTM" could use a definitive write up, according to humble.fish this is the "two tank method" for copper, but I have also seen descriptions that involve multiple tank switches with no medication, more than two tanks unless you break them down and sterilize between every switch. I'd rather not use copper, but I also want something that's effective.

OP
OP
R

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. 5 tank sterilizations, 6 transfers but no copper or other meds (unless treating for other potential ailments). I wonder which is less stress on a fish?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a lot of work. I use 2 identical tanks with the same hiding stuff in the same places. The fish really dont know the difference after a min or 2

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. 5 tank sterilizations, 6 transfers but no copper or other meds (unless treating for other potential ailments). I wonder which is less stress on a fish?
My thoughts exactly...we have a flipped out tang and coral beauty and we decided copper in one hospital tank would be best for them...and us...each morning I go down there afraid stress has claimed one! That stress is gonna kill me! Lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back