OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never remove media! Can you adjust filtration power? Usually canisters have a lever that adjust gph flow. Maybe do that and where are powerheads in your tank?
lol yeah I was like that's probably very dumb but let me ask lol.... Yeah I can adjust it. They are both at max power so its filtering soooo much an hour. I will lower it right now. Because of that there is strong movement in the tank so I only use one powerhead. Its on the right glass in the middle.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the tests again and the ammonia is at 0.25 not 0.50. It looks a little bit different on camera.

Yeah - that ammonia test is hard to read. You should not have any ammonia in a cycled aquarium. Here is a trick - test some seawater you KNOW doesn't have ammonia in it and then your tank at the same time - see if the colors are the same (just to confuse things a bit - some brands of sea salt have 0.25 ppm ammonia in them when you first mix them, Instant Ocean is one).

Regarding your initial question - I have an answer about the mandarin quarantine - don't get one (grin). I've never been able to find a good solution to this - what we do is get a good healthy one, larger is better and put it in a non-fish coral propagation system for 45+ days. We raise live mysids and get adult brine, so we augment food with that. Another option would be to get a tank raised one (from Biota?) and just take the risk and add it to the DT right away.

For CUC, we hold them for 30 to 45 days in a non-fish system. Not a "full" fallow period, but I've never had a problem with that.

Jay

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ph has been around 8.2-8.4 all the time. I just got a marine buffer. But i have never used it. I will do a water test right now and will post the results.

Your PH is already great if you are seeing above 8.0. I would stay away from marine buffers of any kind. They can create their own problems. Your ph level is awesome. I would not mess with what’s working!

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PH is already great if you are seeing above 8.0. I would stay away from marine buffers of any kind. They can create their own problems. Your ph level is awesome. I would not mess with what’s working!
Yeah I see. I saw at it my lfs and said I might probably need it at some point so I bought it. But I have never used it yet, and probably never will. Thanks :)

OP
OP
Noob_Sam

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - that ammonia test is hard to read. You should not have any ammonia in a cycled aquarium. Here is a trick - test some seawater you KNOW doesn't have ammonia in it and then your tank at the same time - see if the colors are the same (just to confuse things a bit - some brands of sea salt have 0.25 ppm ammonia in them when you first mix them, Instant Ocean is one).

Regarding your initial question - I have an answer about the mandarin quarantine - don't get one (grin). I've never been able to find a good solution to this - what we do is get a good healthy one, larger is better and put it in a non-fish coral propagation system for 45+ days. We raise live mysids and get adult brine, so we augment food with that. Another option would be to get a tank raised one (from Biota?) and just take the risk and add it to the DT right away.

For CUC, we hold them for 30 to 45 days in a non-fish system. Not a "full" fallow period, but I've never had a problem with that.

Jay
Yeah I use Instant Ocean. I will try out the method you told me. Also it does not matter anyways cause I think my tank has ick :( My Coral Beauty has one spot on his body. I am not sure if its an air bubble or ich. It looks like an air bubble but its been at the same spot for the past 2 days. btw Jay this is different than last time. I told you that my CB had something on his head possible ich, that was just a scratch. So I am really worried because my blue tang is almost done with QT ( 2 more weeks) and I dont want to leave my tank fishless for 80 days again.....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as before I think, if the spot on the CB is in the exact same location after 72 hours, and no new spots show up, it isn't ich.

Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back