QT new pair of clowns?

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out my 75 gal and have a question that I can't find the answer too. I understand that you should always QT your new fish but these will be the first pair. Dt and qt tanks aren't cycled so seems silly to wait until the dt is cycled to be able to help cycle the qt. Or am I just over thinking this one?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out my 75 gal and have a question that I can't find the answer too. I understand that you should always QT your new fish but these will be the first pair. Dt and qt tanks aren't cycled so seems silly to wait until the dt is cycled to be able to help cycle the qt. Or am I just over thinking this one?
Sorry, what is your question? I am a bit confused. Are you asking if you should qt your clowns? Or are you asking if they can be qted in the display tank? Or are you asking about cycling your tanks?

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They can still harbor different diseases and parasites. You can cycle them both together or just monitor the ammonia and nitrite in the QT and do frequent water changes to help out. Honestly, a bottle of bacteria for a 10 gallon should be more than enough to start the cycle. Alternatively, if you don’t want to wait, I’d recommend looking at TSM aquatics which sell quarantined and treated fish so you should be able to throw them directly into your DT.

OP
OP
A

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, what is your question? I am a bit confused. Are you asking if you should qt your clowns? Or are you asking if they can be qted in the display tank? Or are you asking about cycling your tanks?
Can I qt them in the display rather than in a separate tank seeing they will be the first in?

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the question to ask is if you don't QT them, can you trust putting other fish in your DT even if they clowns show no sign of illness. Personally I would QT them or adopt them from a trusted source.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I qt them in the display rather than in a separate tank seeing they will be the first in?
Ah right, gotcha. Yes, you can, but 1. if there is a disease and your clowns end up dying, you'd need to go fallow or clean out your display, which can be more of a pain than restarting a qt, and 2. some people say some diseases and stuff can persist in live rock and things in the display, and so even after cleaning or going fallow, the disease may affect whatever fish you add next.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can still harbor different diseases and parasites. You can cycle them both together or just monitor the ammonia and nitrite in the QT and do frequent water changes to help out. Honestly, a bottle of bacteria for a 10 gallon should be more than enough to start the cycle. Alternatively, if you don’t want to wait, I’d recommend looking at TSM aquatics which sell quarantined and treated fish so you should be able to throw them directly into your DT.
+1 very happy with my recent purchase from TSM.

OP: if you plan to have corals and/or inverts you won't be able to treat your DT, so you would have to set up a QT, treat the fish in there and then go fallow in the DT. If you do not have fish yet, I say 100% go with TSM, or another trusted retailer that puts their fish through a treatment process.

Last edited:

Falconer298

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just a bit ahead of you in this whole process, I did place my first two clowns in QT and slowly raised cupramine to a therapeutic level. One was pretty small and would not eat anything and died likely from stress, other is doing great and graduates from QT in 8 more days. My DT was cycled before I bought fish and I had matrix media in the sump that I used to start my 40g QT tanks. I did not watch to see a cycle, but I’m changing 10g water weekly to be safe. Not sure I trust the ammonia alert badge I put in and with copper in the water it affects my regular ammonia test. Planning on 30days of cupramine at it’s therapeutic level. I bought a Hanah HR Copper tester, almost a must have item with copper treatment I discovered.

It seems like a long long time looking at an empty tank but I’ve found plenty to do and research in the mean time. Have the clean up crew and Chaetomorpha macro algae in another QT that are probably going to be there for 76 days. Kind of makes it exciting though as the QT fish near their transfer date!
BC223B0B-F7F0-4FEE-BFBF-A99DFA824E27.jpeg

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just a bit ahead of you in this whole process, I did place my first two clowns in QT and slowly raised cupramine to a therapeutic level. One was pretty small and would not eat anything and died likely from stress, other is doing great and graduates from QT in 8 more days. My DT was cycled before I bought fish and I had matrix media in the sump that I used to start my 40g QT tanks. I did not watch to see a cycle, but I’m changing 10g water weekly to be safe. Not sure I trust the ammonia alert badge I put in and with copper in the water it affects my regular ammonia test. Planning on 30days of cupramine at it’s therapeutic level. I bought a Hanah HR Copper tester, almost a must have item with copper treatment I discovered.

It seems like a long long time looking at an empty tank but I’ve found plenty to do and research in the mean time. Have the clean up crew and Chaetomorpha macro algae in another QT that are probably going to be there for 76 days. Kind of makes it exciting though as the QT fish near their transfer date!
BC223B0B-F7F0-4FEE-BFBF-A99DFA824E27.jpeg
Great point on the Hanna, the color wheel tests are pretty tough to decipher.

OP
OP
A

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point on the live rock being possibility contaminated. The DT is still at least 2 weeks out before it will see water. Still need to build the stand, plum, get a few odds and ends and waiting on my roller filter from the Netherlands. I could get a start in the qt cycle.

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT them if you can... If one ends up having ich you'll have to move them to the QT anyways and to top it off you won't be able to add fish to the DT for 70+ days.

OP
OP
A

afk-47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT them if you can... If one ends up having ich you'll have to move them to the QT anyways and to top it off you won't be able to add fish to the DT for 70+ days.
Ended up getting two 10gals QT tank set up. Got a few fish in copper. My DT wont be set up until end of next month due to moving. Clowns are doing great :)

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up getting two 10gals QT tank set up. Got a few fish in copper. My DT wont be set up until end of next month due to moving. Clowns are doing great :)
Awsome to hear haha, I didn't realize I clicked an old thread. I'm a dummy

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back